News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bleedin brakes

Started by rybes, July 15, 2012, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

new master cylinder seal kit today. a genuine triumph part too  :D  guess what  :?:

STILL NO POXY BRAKES  :BangHead
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

You ain`t having a lot of luck lately mate  :lol:

Only the calipers left to check then?

Pity i`m away for the meet this weekend or i would have come over and got in the way/tried to help!

rybes

thing is if i pressure it up with a syringe iget a lovely lever. take the syringe off n it stays like that for a while then slowly goes back t the bars. so there has to be air in it still somewhere ?
i cant see the p[roblem bein in the caliper tho as nuffin leaks out of em. so that makes me think the seals are ok. all the pistons move easy enough.
gunna try a few more things tmora n if that dont work im gunna throw all me toys out the pram  :lol:

Sin_Tiger

Sorry I was busy and should have posted this before.

Disconnect the hose at the callipers, plug it, I'm sure you can rig something up and it'll probably leak a bit but that's not a bad thing.

If you get good pressure its in the callipers! There isn't anything else  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

cheers sin  :wink:  ill give that a try later today. got me fingers crossed that it aint the calipers tho

rybes

well tried new copper washers no joy  :cry:  aint tried disconectin the calipers yet. cant find a way of bleedin the brakes without em bein on.

bein all serious now, im gettin proper pissed off with this. it shouldnt take this long to sort em out. if it carries on like this im gunna be takin it to dealer to get em bleed up

nightrunner

I checked my Triumph factory service manual on bleeding brakes and a found couple of things that might help you.  These may be obvious but at this point it may be worth asking.  If you have the master with adjustable lever it needs to be set to position 1.   Also if you are bleeding by squeezing the lever, make sure that air is not getting sucked back in the bleed screw on release of the lever.  They make bleeder hoses with check valves for this purpose.

I got nuthin else.  Good luck!
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Sin_Tiger

:shock:  Nippon, take a deep breath. Let's break out down into the componenta and innominate them one at a time.

Unbolt the horses at the calliper end. Put a bolt with washers through the banjo end to effectively blank off the outlet, I know you can find something to do that as I have seen your garage :wink:  You probably won't get a complete seal but that's OK. Put safety glasses on, you don't wasn't that stuff in your eye.

Pump the lever, you should be able to figure out pretty quickly if you are being enough resistance and the piston is getting replenishment fluid.

If you do its in the callipers, if not look at the master cylinder and sort that first.

Are you sure you're connecting the houses to the correct ports on the callipers? Some callipers have multiple ports which might not nave the internal passages drilled as you are expecting, i.e. there might not be cross connections between the calliper halves. Blow through with air one at a time to check.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

cheers nightrunner n sin. im off out in the garage now to have another play. ive not got the triumph adjustable levers on there but i do have other adjustable levers. never thought of movin the lever.

im gunna try that first sin, then im gunna try yours. his ideas cleaner  :lol:

back with a progress report soon and hopefully a smile :D

Geoff W

I had a similar problem, turned out it was air leaking in around tired old copper washers. It is a cheap fix, worth trying.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

rf9rider

Any joy yet Rybes?

nightrunner

Quote from: "Geoff W"I had a similar problem, turned out it was air leaking in around tired old copper washers. It is a cheap fix, worth trying.

But a leak that allows air in should also leak fluid out, and thus be easy to see.  Now I did once have a car with rear-only anti-lock gizmo that was allowing air to be pulled in without leaking fluid.  Kept bleeding and bleeding the rear brakes and the bubbles never stopped.  I bypassed it and problem solved.  But the Tiger has no such device.  This is a toughy.  Hope he gets it solved.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

rybes

well looks like night runner was spot on  :wink: cheers for that mate, idve never have thought of that. still a bit spongey but im gunna let it settle over a day or so n bleed it again jus t make sure its all clear.

PompeyLad

Last time I bled them (about 2 months ago for braided hoses) I had to do the lever clamped back to the grip with a cable tie for 3 full days.  :x

rybes