News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Snake oil or snake oil? Which one should I use?

Started by Red Lion, August 02, 2012, 12:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Lion

Personally, I'm going to use aviation kerosene(I have a heliport nearby) instead of turps as the bulk filler, though I may switch the mixture later on to compare. Also, I've changed my mind on the IPA, so I'm going to add it at 5% of my mix. I already have a gallon of IPA left over from a renovation, and the state of petrol at the pumps here is forcing my hand.

One interesting thing about the Profi Fuel Max mix is the addition of Xylene(2.5% of the mix). This is readily available, and is a very strong solvent for gum/lacquer. I wonder if this is the magic ingredient that gives the almost instantaneous cleaning results mentioned on another thread. I have a dirtbike that has been sitting with premix in its bowls for the last 3 years that I'll be stripping over the winter. I'm kind of hoping that it now has a high degree of gumming/lacquering so that I can systematically test the efficacy of Xylene, cresol, turps, white spirits etc. I'll post the details after the tests.
Black '96 Steamer : \'04 RM250 : \'10 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Sin_Tiger

Xylene is pretty wicked stuff as you say, try finding a marker pen with it in these days is hard going though.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint