News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hello

Started by wardy, February 06, 2013, 09:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wardy

hi every body just thought i would open by saying hello i am thinking of buying my first tiger its a 1999 tiger carb model 50000 mls and it up for £1200.00 whats everbodys thoughts do.s don ts look fors etc thanks in advance wardy

Mustang

Welcome

1st off .it's not a 99 , there is no such thing as a 1999 tiger with carbs from the factory .
more likely is it is a 1998 model that was 1st registered in 1999

50,000 on the clock ......if it has been well maintained , is nothing to be concerned about .

more than likely the rear shock is done ...........
check the rotors good for uneven wear .
Make sure the motor spins freely and that it has a good battery . (sprag clutch failure happens with dead batts a lot )
ask lots of questions of seller .
When were valves last serviced ?
Was any shimming to valves required ?
Does the owner know whats in it for shim sizes .
Has it sat long with out use ? (the carbs don't like that )
When was air filter serviced ?
These are all services that are needed at 50 k and can and will cost as much as the purchase price  if dealer performed .
Check the Steering head bearings by 50 k they usually have been replaced or need to be !
Rear wheel bearings also .
Check the shock linkages as most owners neglected them and ran without grease , which will mean  bearing replacement needed.
Look for missing or bolts in the fairing to tank mount that are are missing or spin freely .
Has there been more than one owner .
With Steamers you either get a good one (been well maintained) or you get a money pit !

threepot

Hi,I'm new to the Tiger model,although its my 3rd Hinkley Triumph. Had a 900 Trident,got a 95 Super3 with 46k. Their generally good solid bikes. Main thing to check is the sprag/starter clutch..makes a mechanical/clunking sound when engaged if faulty. Changed it on my Trident,easy job really..IF the engine has an inspection plate ,top/behind clutch cover. Dont think 99 year will have one? I paid £1300 for mine..96 with 34k miles,generally good cond,not mint. Plastic tank can leak,ive had to repair 2 leaks on threaded holes in tank,check all fasteners are fitted. Check cond of chrome under fork gaiters,and their not leaking. Had an issue with poor low speed performance with mine. Bike hadnt been used for several months,cleaned carbs,filter on carb inlet had gummed up. Seems ok now with use. Also petrol tap can give problems..now and again mine blocks? Have to turn tap for fuel to flow,filter inside tank blocks,will need to change. There is a Yam alternative.  Check no unusual noises when running,but they are mechanically noisy on idle anyway. My alternator bolt may be loose/broken..can hear noise from that area?? I've had Triumphs for 17 yrs now,I think their great bikes,but they're not perfect..but are any? I.m still learning about them. You'll learn so much on these forums. Good luck :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

wad2502

Sorry to jump the thread with a different question but Threepot said " There is a Yam alternative."

Please which one???

Mustang

try the search button.....................hehehe!

replace the stock petcock with Yamaha 2GU-24500-02.

or quote me :ImaPoser

rf9rider

Quote from: wad2502 on February 07, 2013, 05:59:03 PM
Sorry to jump the thread with a different question but Threepot said " There is a Yam alternative."

Please which one???

Here you go

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10288.msg75811.html#msg75811

threepot

Hi rf9rider. This is my mates bike..
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Bixxer Bob

Didn't know there were any 900RFs still going.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 08, 2013, 12:25:13 AM
Didn't know there were any 900RFs still going.....

I still see a few when i`m out and about, very under rated bike.

Wish i still had mine sometimes, alongside the Steamer of course.

rf9rider

Quote from: threepot on February 07, 2013, 09:55:23 PM
Hi rf9rider. This is my mates bike..

Always liked the purple ones, mine was cherry red..........................................for the first month  :hat10

Then i had it resprayed in Alstare colours.