News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Brake Drag Repair

Started by birddogone, December 18, 2013, 07:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birddogone

Hey Fellas, I have begun to have drag on my rear brake caliper and sometimes developing enough heat that you can't touch it. relatively new pads, straight rotor and have bled the system. I have noticed it since my chain adjustment has gotten to it's maximum marks on the spindles. I have also removed the pads and polished the retaining pins and applied a lite coating of lithium grease and checked the pistons which are moving freely. Still dragging. Any suggestions fire away.
Thanks,
Rod
PS   Did a search here under "rear brake drag" and only got one post.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

exchead

hi did u split the rear caliper and check the slider pins and rubber grommets and regrease it needs to be able to move in and out a bit,pattern pads can also have to much friction compound on them and need sanding off a bit

HockleyBoy

Cant remember if there is a Max mark on the fluid reservoir but worth checking it s not over filled.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

metalguru

Quote from: exchead on December 18, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
hi did u split the rear caliper and check the slider pins and rubber grommets and regrease it needs to be able to move in and out a bit,pattern pads can also have to much friction compound on them and need sanding off a bit

Take grommets from the caliper and no doubt there will be corrosion of the caliper body.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

birddogone

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll inspect each one and report back. I know the rear brake resouvier way on the high side, I'll look at that first.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

PeteH

Quote from: exchead on December 18, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
hi did u split the rear caliper and check the slider pins and rubber grommets and regrease it needs to be able to move in and out a bit

Ditto this...you need to keep an eye on this bit....dont ask how I know :icon_redface:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

NortonCharlie

Can you push the pads back by hand when it is all assembled?  You should be able to push the caliper body on the bike and have it slowly push the pistons in.  If the brake pedal (or master cylinder) is restricted from returning all the way you might simply be closing the return path for the fluid back into the master cylinder. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

birddogone

The pistons work freely when disassembled. The the two pins (or sliders) with rubber covers, one is fine the other frozen solid. I think this is my problem. I'm just not sure how to get it free without tearing something up.
Pete and everyone, Thanks for your suggestions and help, I'm just gonna keep mess'n with it.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Do another search on calipers; it's a common problem so you'll get some ideas before .you wade in  :XXcomputerm
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: birddogone on December 22, 2013, 05:57:36 PM
The the two pins (or sliders) with rubber covers, one is fine the other frozen solid. I think this is my problem. I'm just not sure how to get it free without tearing something up.

I literally had to cut the bracket from around the pin :icon_cry: a new bracket for mine was £20ish looks like yours are around £30

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=1000149&block_03=232917

Best soak it with release fluid and maybe apply some gentle heat and then a few well aimed thunks with you favourite hammer :thumbsup

edit to add....yes I know the diagram is for the left caliper....

birddogone

I want to thank all here for your advice, after cleaning and soaking in WD40 I was finally able to separate the long rear brake slider pin. after greasing and a good clean up I went ahead and tackled the front as well, which was dry but not seized up. Took her for a 20 mile run and all rotors cool as a cucumber!   :thumbsup    I took a few pictures that may help the next person who was as confused as I was about the way it all came apart. The first two pictures are before clean up.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

PeteH

Glad you got it sorted :eusa_clap now you just need to keep an eye on it...oh, and the front ones too.
Photos could be added to HOW TOO thread