News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

non startin steamer

Started by rybes, February 07, 2013, 07:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

well, im shocked. first time ive left me bike for a few months abd its not started after the batteries been charged. it tried too but i think the batteries dead. can 2 months stood standin in the weather we jus had have killed it ? i cant testthe voltage of the battery cos my multi meters in denmark so cant tell what its doin when the starter buttons pushed.
could the battery be dead ? it turns over jus not fast enough
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

If there's any question over the battery, you're risking your sprag clutch.  Don't do it man...

How old is the battery? I only get around 3 yrs out of one and they don't cost the earth so go out tomorrow and buy one.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Welcome home mate.  :wave

My battery was fine all year, then when the bad weather came i put it on the optimate, a month later it was dead, so it`s possible yours has died.

If you get a new one, i highly recommend the Motobatt ones, i`ve left mine for about 8 weeks during our last spell of cold weather, starts up first time, cranks over really well.  :thumbsup

How long you over for?

Have to sort out a meet up at Johns.

rybes

batterys as old as the bikes rebuild. comin up to 2 years in sept. not sure how long im back for yet. got it on charge again tonight so ill try it once in the mornin and if not look at gettin a new battery

Bixxer Bob

Here you go in case you missed it:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12192.msg89256.html#msg89256

Although if you're in a hurry and can't wait for the post it'll be whatever your local bike shop stocks.

I'm running a Motobatt on the Aprillia which, being a 650cc single, takes a bit of cranking.  The Motobatt really does throw it over well and takes some hammer as the 'prilla is a poor starter.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

+1 on the Mottobatt, replaced my Girly battery with one before the winter and its been really good. Spins the engine well and has held up without any additional charge despite using the heated grips on almost every journey.

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

rybes

:thumbsup battery was fine, bikes now runnin. erm, as i left in a hurry to go to denmark before december, id forgotten......................................it needed fuel  :wave

Bixxer Bob

But it must have been a dead battery before you charged it right?  You can't confuse a dead battery for no fuel....

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 08, 2013, 06:51:17 PM
But it must have been a dead battery before you charged it right?  You can't confuse a dead battery for no fuel....
steamer battery will go from "whirr, whirr, whirr" to "runh,runh,runh" pretty damn quick with no fuel in the carbs  :BangHead

rf9rider

Quote from: rybes on February 08, 2013, 03:14:49 PM
:thumbsup battery was fine, bikes now runnin. erm, as i left in a hurry to go to denmark before december, id forgotten......................................it needed fuel  :wave

No fuel?

Was that to stop your Dad tinkering?  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: rf9rider on February 08, 2013, 08:47:26 PM

Was that to stop your Dad tinkering?  :thumbsup

Hang on, didn't we have that conversation before you went away, and didn't you decide to just hide the keys?

Sin_Tiger

Apparently he couldn't find the keys so he syphoned off the petrol  :pottytrain2
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

lol funny cos ya was all close. went much petrol in it cos las time it i used it was the mornin before i flew to denmark. it needed petrol then but was runnin very late so had no chance to put any in.
yes i hid the keys away, sin, thats highly probable if it wernt for the fact he needed the keys to open the cap  :thumbsup

what made me think it was the battery was the way it never started. usually when everythins filled up, ahem, ignition on, choke on, clutch pulled in, push the start button and it fires straight away. id be very surprised if it does more than 2 revolutions of the engine before it starts. so ive never really heard how slow it turns over. once there was petrol back in it, it fired up normally. cos it turned over so slow thats what made me think it was the battery. turns out i was jus forgetful  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

So are you getting out on it tomorrow? weather doesn't look too bad......

rybes

yep  :pimp those legs got stretched yesterday  :thumbsup felt gooooooood to be back on it again