News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slow cranking when starting engine

Started by intotheabis, March 30, 2013, 02:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intotheabis

Hi all, looking for some help here.
My 98 Tiger started turning over real slow on start up last year.
I figured the battery was gone so I installed an Odyssey battery figuring it would have lots of kick as opposed to a standard battery.
When I installed the battery and went to fire it up it is still cranking slow.
All connections are nice and clean.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Intotheabis

Mustang

starter motor is the next place to be looking , ...............could have a bad bearing in starter motor or need brushes , etc etc
or just get another one off ebay

intotheabis

Thanks Mustang, now I have another issue, my low beam lights keep burning out.
I replace them, turn them off and on with the bike engine off, when I start up the bike the low beams burn out.
I run with the high beams on all day long but for some reason the lows burn out immediately.
Any ideas?
Intotheabis

Bixxer Bob

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running.  It could be you have more than 14.7 volts which means your reg/rec is fubar'd.  That would explain a knackered 1st battery and that it's killing the new one. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

intotheabis

Ok,  just checked the voltage. Its solid at 14.7 at idle or high rpm.
Intotheabis

intotheabis

Humm, now it looks like the bulbs are ok but still no low beam.
I can hear the relays clicking when I turn on the high beams but still only high beams work.
This is gonna be a tough one  :BangHead
Intotheabis

Mustang

no it won't be your on the right tracki, the relays more than likely have corroded contact. just replace the relays , theres three of them . one that cuts the lights when starting and two that run high and low beam. i've seen them at times be full of water.
could be causing your starter problem too.

intotheabis

Thanks Mustang, sounds about right.
I found the 2 behind the headlights and changed them but still the same thing.
Any idea where the 3rd is? Under the tank maybe.
Intotheabis

intotheabis

Found it, looks like a burned out wire going to the 3rd relay.
Keep you posted..............................
Intotheabis

intotheabis

The 3rd relay was located right up at the top of the headlight bracket right in between the 2 lights.
One of the connectors in the 4 gang connector plug was melted and not making a good contact with the relay. (Must have been that trip I took last summer into the wilds of Quebec that shook her to death)
Every time I changed a bulb I must have disturbed the relay wiring enough to make contact and when I would try the lights with the engine off they would work.
Once I got going the connection would fail and I would thing I burned out the bulb again.
I modified the connector and taped her up good.
Works perfect!
Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated.  :notworthy
Intotheabis