News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bypass kickstand switch

Started by Cleaverid, April 04, 2013, 02:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleaverid

Hi FOLKS,

I went on a fairly rough ride trying out the new Heideneau K60s and noticed on the really rough washboard the engine seemed to be stumbling.  I think the culprit is the sidestand switch with the kickstand rattling around.  (I tye wrapped the centerstand up to keep it from banging around.) Any mods to the factory kickstand out there? Add springs etc.. (I searched but didn't come up with much) Or is there an aftermarket one that is better or a way to bypass the switch to ensure that is the problem?
Thanks for the input!

Cleaver
Always look downstream

Bixxer Bob

To bypass the sidestand switch just join the wires together.  Just be aware that you are modifying a designed-in safety device and as such your insurance company may take a dim view.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If it really is banging around (whithout doing jumps) then you need new springs on the stands, they don't last forever and are constantly under tension.

To verify you could wire up a temporary warning light in your line of sight and ride again.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

WVdyhrd

I am extra lazy. After ordering the oem switch and receiving the wrong one from the company I decided to take the modification route. I studied and studied it and decided (due to recent horrendous electronic woes) to not take any wires out.

In my situation I determined the plunger on the switch was simply not extending properly, if it was allowed it would (about 30 sec+) eventually descend and all ok. To test this theory I simply removed the rear fastener and loosened the front. I rotated the switch to where the plunger Descended just in front of the flat spot on the side-stand. If this proved the culprit I intended to simply try to clean the interior of the switch hoping this would allow it to function properly. Took it out for a quick jaunt and I was right. Came home, cleaning the switch gave way to Pale Ale and the switch is still slightly askew almost 2000mi later  ymmv
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

cosmo

The moment that switch gives bother, it's out of there!!

I recently removed the clutch interlock switch; still alive, I am.

How some of us ever lived through our youth, before the nanny state decided that we shouldn't decide, I'll not know.

Just think, there were once motorcycles that had to be kick-started. Oh, the Horror!!

Harleys didn't have throttle return springs until 1974. It's a bloody miracle that there are ANY Harley riders left to purchase the new ones.

I drive a car without seat belts. When new, no one would have thought a second about it; now people think I am suicidal.

Sorry, ranting I am. Stopping now. Have good night, make sure you leave the light on, so rescuers won't trip over anything.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Dutch

Quote from: cosmo on April 08, 2013, 03:30:53 AM
Just think, there were once motorcycles that had to be kick-started. Oh, the Horror!!

Pff, all it takes is a 12 year old girl with glasses      :hat10

iansoady

Quote from: cosmo on April 08, 2013, 03:30:53 AM

How some of us ever lived through our youth, before the nanny state decided that we shouldn't decide, I'll not know.

Well actually lots of us didn't and a good friend of mine had a very serious accident when he left the prop stand down on a Bonneville (a proper one) and it spat him off at the first left hand bend.

However, it's up to the individual to decide their own level of risk. I was told I'd kill myself by converting my wheels to tubeless and I haven't yet.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650