News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1st New Owner Q's - Suspension & Clutch

Started by Roadinator, April 25, 2013, 05:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

Its a bit odd to me why you would have oil under there to attract all the dirt. Looks like it is sprayed all over the area. The dirt just accumulated on it over a long period. Who knows, maybe someone got carried away with some "armor-all" years ago  (?). I would think that someone was riding without a  rear inner fender to see all that everywhere in the picture (which chain lube could get all over the place). All speculation on my part based on what I see.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Moorso

Don't know if these help....but here you go....these are the suggested factory settings etc  :headbang
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Roadinator

Thanks Moorso.  I have a manual, but still wanted to confirm some things.  I also wanted to try out adding pictures and then writing on them as I know I will have questions in the future and will keep looking for help/advice. 

Nice to have a community as I venture into motorcycling again!
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

bjago

Quote from: Roadinator on April 30, 2013, 10:45:09 PM
Okay, thanks for the fork info.  I had read somewhere that certain models might have some sort of drain, but guess not.  Not going to worry about the forks for now, but the rear shock.  As far as pre-load, I turned it for multiply clicks and I thought you were suppose to see some marks on the side like it shows in the manual;

but I don't see any numbers on the side and/or it going up or down.  Am I missing something?

For the rebound, I figured from the manual it is insert and turn, I just don't see a lot of room to turn.  Also, is this the bottom of the shock mount in the swing arm breaking?

My rear shock has the same mold line in the same area.  unless you actually see a crack in there I wouldn't worry about it. 
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Roadinator

I will check it out on Friday.  If it is not a crack, then I am happy.  Just have an extra swing arm to keep or resale  :XXcomputer

Moorso

No problem Roadinator

By the way....thanks for posting this thread!!  :eusa_clap I have just ordered a new shock that my mechanic is fitting.....but I've never adjusted it before either. So we're feeling in the dark together on this one buddy!  :wave

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Roadinator

Well I will be posting a lot more questions as I am a noob to Triumphs :hat10

bjago, I do not have a crack! (I do, but the bike does not  :pottytrain2)  Thanks for posting and I caught the shipment of the swing arm in time to cancel.  Now it's pulling the rear wheel and taking it to get the tire swapped.  Didn't want to try that one yet...   Should be easy to adjust the preload without a wheel back there.

Roadinator

Update. 
Tire mounted and suspension tweaked.  Adjustments stiffened up the rear, so that is good.  New tire is nice and it felt good to wrench on the bike some.  Modified my top box mounting plate for the best fit.  I purchased shorter bolts from Home Depot and painted bolts and brackets black so they wouldn't be seen.  Top box plate will stay on most of the time.  Purchased a cheap Bestem unit and seems to meet my needs, especially for the price ($85 shipped). 

Man I love this bike! :eusa_clap 

Moorso

Roadinator...... :thumbsup what settings did you use? Did you stiffen the rear just by damping or with spring rate?? Intrigued to know, as I don't like a soft rear end (God....it's a double-entrandra nightmare!!) Ha ha!  :icon_redface: but you know what I mean!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Roadinator

I did the spring, which I thought for some reason was turning the entire spring (old motocross days), and clicked the screw all the way out and then back to increase the firmness, counting the turns.  It seemed to go three small clicks to equal one full click. It seem to tighten up, but I have not road two up yet.  I don't think it made it night and day, but did help.  I tightened the spring pre-load load all the way tight and backed off until it clicked.  I still need to get inside the housing to see if I can find a number it's on.