News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 955i Needs Help, 5 days till vacation; PULEEZE

Started by Fe Man, May 11, 2013, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

Bike starts, ran on the stand for two heat cycles; rev's fine, no issues. It had an exhaust leak but I rode it anyway and the bike died 5 miles from the house. It ran GREAT right up to the point it died. After, it would idle but not rev, wouldn't idle under load.

The idea that the exhaust leak was giving the lambda sender erroneous data and causing the ECU to do "bad things". The next day the new exhaust gaskets arrived and were installed. Went through every connector upon completion, all was as it should be. Same drill, bike ran great on stand, pulled it out in driveway, idled and rev'd great, check engine light went out (haven't checked codes yet).

Off I road and the GD bike died in the exact same (EXACT same spot). Same scenario, as I was running through the gears, probably in 3rd and about 6K RPM's, the pig died!

I kept it kinda keep running and got home and here is a weird symptom which may lead someone into helping me fix this thing:

While it was "running" and under load the RPM's would fall as if the engine was killed and then rev back up. I don't know if that sounds like a throttle position sensor because I'm not familiar with their issues and failures.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chuck

Mustang

sounds more like a not getting fuel issue to me .............liked hoses hooked up wrong , or pinched etc etc

Fe Man

Quote from: Mustang on May 11, 2013, 06:37:52 PM
sounds more like a not getting fuel issue to me .............liked hoses hooked up wrong , or pinched etc etc

Not...

Fe Man

OBD Codes:

P0462 Fuel Level Sensor Low Input

P0230 Fuel Pump Primary Circuit malfunction

P1231 No Definition

P0462 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

P0113 Intake Air Temp Circuit High Input

P1116 No Definition

P1552 No Definition

P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High Input

P1386 No Definition

P0122 TPS Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

Mustang

p1231 is fuel pump open circuit
and as I thought you have a fuel problem with several other fuel related/pump codes
check your wiring/ connector to fuel pump
clear the fuel pump problem the other codes will probably take care of themselves once your fuel issue is remedied

coachgeo

Quote from: Mustang on May 12, 2013, 03:04:26 AM
p1231 is fuel pump open circuit
and as I thought you have a fuel problem with several other fuel related/pump codes
check your wiring/ connector to fuel pump
clear the fuel pump problem the other codes will probably take care of themselves once your fuel issue is remedied
Does something in the computer; when the fuel pump if it is working too hard,  shut the circuit down......... as in a blockage (fuel filter, kinked or junk in line orrr?) making the fuel pump push or suck (how ever it works on the Girly) too hard?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Bixxer Bob

My guess is blocked fuel filter or one of the tubes gone soft and sucking flat.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Tank off, side plate off, change the fuel filter and look at the pipes in there.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

vince

not forgetting the tank breather pipes either  :thumbsup
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

iansoady

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 12, 2013, 11:52:53 AM
My guess is blocked fuel filter or one of the tubes gone soft and sucking flat.

IIRC the only flexible pipes are under pressure including the internal one.

Connector not properly inserted?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Hows about fuses 5 and 6 bad connection or the old perenial keyswitch connections?? Seems strange for all the faults to come up at once, just a thought.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Fe Man

All codes cleared:

Only P0122 TPS Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input reappeared. So I ordered a TPS and will put it in tomorrow.

Stitch

Something else to check is the 5 volt reference signal from the ECM since you have a few "ghost" codes (ones you can't define) and all are voltage related. I would expect an open in the existing TPS (about where your throttle was at cut-out) and would definitely test the old one it if you have a good meter. "Ghost codes" are suspect of ECU voltage issues either with the 5 volt reference or ECU power/ground.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Gravity Tester