News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

need to help my tiger 900 preparing to Afrika

Started by CRAZY, April 04, 2013, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRAZY

Hello to all fans of the brand :thumbsup
I am from Bulgaria
My English is very bad, so translating a googletranslator, recently bought Triuph Tiger 900 1998 ', preparing it for 45 day trip through Africa (3,000 kilometers Bulgaria Spain Morocco Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, a total of about 15,000 km).
Before that I had a Yamaha FJ1200 I've traveled a lot , for a 14 yars  traweled  44000 miles.
I want to hear your opinion and what things Tiger 900 carburettor to raise.

now do a complete inspection of the electrical system

- Adding a waterproof connector gps    to a garmin scX60
- voltmeter
- compass
-5 pcs changed wheel bearings.
-Oil Filter Champion
-plugs NGk

I wish to be easier to change the air filter. Be more accessible, looked for some mod

mi choise to tyre a MITAS E08 model rear + front

Chain and sprockets did and JT
if the model has some typical problems would benefit from your advice
oil change to repsol 20w50

Nick Calne

Awesome plan.  We will need photo's now, during and after your trip!

Done your valve clearances?

You might want to consider taking a spare coil, pick up etc.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

First, welcome Crazy, we're all friendly in here. Next, that is an awesome trip you have planned.

This post belongs in the Steamer section so I'll move it for you.

And for folks trying to help Crazy, please keep the English simple and try not to use apostrophes and other devices so that we give Google Translate half a chance of giving him information he can use.  Thank you all.  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Crazy

How many kilometers has your bike been ridden?

I would be inclined to change wheel bearings and seals also service brakes with new pads and seals for peace of mind. The cost is relatively low and you will clean and lubricate while doing it.

With a reatively short trip for the distance covered you do not want to waste time trying to source parts that are easy preventative maintainance jobs.
----AK-----

CRAZY

trip kilometers 15000
may by change oil? syntetik  or 
Change sail and bearing yes.
I mountig scotoiler .
I need to help a mod bi easy change air filter
40%  offtoad traks
, and next question is what is normal kompsuption  this model  120km/h

threepot

I would...Fully service bike before going.. take a few days to check bike.
Fresh coolant,oil/filter,brakes,chain. Change air filter..no easy mod. Maintenance free(GEL) battery. Check condition of fuel pipes,fuel filters,electrics.
Take oil filter/oil,brake fluid, brake pads,fuses/bulbs,pair of jumper leads,spare chain? Tools,spare coil/lead,  crank pick up lead. Cable ties,
As said,check valves clearance if possible.
Grease swing arm linkages.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

I think he wants to mod the air filter because he will be cleaning it every day in Morocco.  The sand is like talcum powder.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

coachgeo

check out: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3381.msg19525.html#msg19525  for ideas on how to lighten the bike.  This will reduce overall weight.  Especially important since you'll be adding all the stuff you got to haul with you on this journey.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

akendall1966

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 04, 2013, 10:21:03 PM
I think he wants to mod the air filter because he will be cleaning it every day in Morocco.  The sand is like talcum powder.

Problem is not so much making it cleanable, I managed to split mine and mod it so it is held with screws. But you still have to drop the carbs and a load of body work to get it out of the frame to open it up.  Prefilter on the air box intake to keep some dust from gettin to the main filter about all you can do without major effort.
----AK-----

fishnbiker

Not really related to the Tiger, but most useful info on Morocco ....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212/

http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841901/

GPS maps of good quality, free! ....

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html/

What time of year are you planning for? Summer very hot there. I had +53 in October in Sahara (Zagora) I also passed over the Atlas Mountains near Ouarzazate in February with over 300cm snow at roadside. October & April are best for everywhere.

If you park in cities, you will be approached by "parking attendants" who will watch your bike 24/7 for about a Euro a day. They will have a visible licence & are legitimate, to keep your bike safe. Still, it's best to keep your gear secure.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

CRAZY

Thanks to all the fans

fishnbiker can I use your travelogue  from ADV
Yes I changed my wheel bearings with SKF.
Why should I get a spare chain. I think 15000 is the limit of Regina, DID has more class (at least YAMAHA withstand 15,000 km).
Coil replacement will look somewhere in your forum I read to bang the coil at initial start.

I plan this to 1 05 2013. But it will be postponed to 01.09.2013 due tough fundraising. And the bad situation in Mali.

Yes I mean. Change the air filter box, for easy replacement and frequent inspection. I know I have no doubt but I can prop the airbox.

They say break, needle bearings back fork ?   
60000 I want to go with just greasing ?
tiger model 800 89 'will have any problems with overheating, does it make sense to do the fan forced entry ?

I read the whole manual but found no setting and proper setting, the pressure in the rear shocks. Did you have to inflate, and how many atmospheres (at the tap of the tank).

Mustang

Quote from: CRAZY on April 08, 2013, 10:56:45 AM
Thanks to all the fans

Coil replacement will look somewhere in your forum I read to bang the coil at initial start.

I plan this to 1 05 2013. But it will be postponed to 01.09.2013 due tough fundraising. And the bad situation in Mali.

Yes I mean. Change the air filter box, for easy replacement and frequent inspection. I know I have no doubt but I can prop the airbox.

They say break, needle bearings back fork ?   
60000 I want to go with just greasing ?
tiger model 800 89 'will have any problems with overheating, does it make sense to do the fan forced entry ?

I read the whole manual but found no setting and proper setting, the pressure in the rear shocks. Did you have to inflate, and how many atmospheres (at the tap of the tank).

SHOCK PRESSURE  125 to 150 psi nitrogen charge at the nipple on remote resivoir

grease is good for needle bearings as long as good conditition

overheating not problem on tiger 900

coils if labeled PVL are good

CRAZY

Hello again.
Africa postponed to 01/05/2014 and ,  now prep training Iran and perhaps Pakistan , то 01.09.2013

My question is, Will the tiger to travel 15,000 kilometers, with this model
I expect about 40% light off road a dirt road.
I took mitas with this pattern

Because you drive mostly on tarmac. And you should come to about 4000 km off road area.
According to you. Need you to wear a second rear tire models.

When you drive without lugage.Pri exit bump feel butt thing as a mild stroke in the bud. (is it possible to have enough pressure in the back shok. Is there a recommended setting a bad road)
Otherwise tiger rides very soft, and pass through obstacles (speed bump without making them feel)