News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

sudden erratic staling at idle HELP

Started by deepsouthtiger, May 14, 2013, 01:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouthtiger

Thought  a peaceful Monday commute would be good. Well, almost.

Morning ride to work in 55 degree temps was all good.  Commute home in 78 degree temps and heavy traffic. NOT.
Twice while idling at a light she stalled ....no reason nothing odd before hand purring along fine sitting at light and pffft, nothing!
Hit starter, fired right up and fine for about 20 min......then (again stopped at a light) .......dead......hit starter and all is well.

Got home and let it sit in the garage at idle........fan kicked on.......no stalling ......... :icon_scratch:

TOTALLY puzzled otherwise the bike is running excellent........

FYI I have a Blue Flame exhaust, with baffles in and am running the stock state of tune.  Have been running this set up for 5 years now and never had this (or any for that matter) issue.

Now questioning tomorrows commute .......getting rear ended by a Buick is not on my list of things to do.....

THOUGHTS????????
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Stitch

To clarify: You are completely at idle and it stalls; or you crack the throttle to accelerate and stalls off throttle; or you decelerated to idle at a light and it stalled?

It may warrant investigation to verify fuel pressure and ensure the fuel filter is clean (depending on how the stalling occurs and maintenance intervals). Since you are running an aftermarket can, I would advise the TOR tune based on how much better the bike performs running with it and without. The fuel curve comes up to where the bike runs tremendously better, at all rpm(s). Even if you elect not to install the TOR tune, I would investigate a possible fuel issue (& other maintenance items such as spark plugs); balance the throttle bodies; ensure carbon hasn't built up in the idle solenoid (sticks), and no vacuum leaks exist in the throttle body lines (where you could have a vacuum drop at idle). The 12 min tune can't hurt either (to correct any O2 sensor influences on fuel mapping). Its been running perfect for 5 years and the performance could have degraded slowly over time (in the latter part of the 5 years) to where some common items may need some attention.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

deepsouthtiger

Thanks Stitch.
I had the bike totally serviced a year ago. all new filters, plugs, fluids, throttle bodies set clearances checked etc. etc.

To answer your question, comes to idle fine, actually the first time my hand was off the throttle entirely.  Didn't blip it, just died. No indication, no stumble or odd rev drop on tach. just like I turned off the key. :icon_scratch:
Restarted, sat at idle for another, 60-90 seconds before light turned and pulled away fine, no issues or noticeable hesitation.

I do know the TOR would help. However I was under the impression with the full baffle set in the Blue Flame it isn't "required" according to the exhaust manufacturer. 

Fuel filter possibly?  Crap in the fuel tank?  at running speeds I can tell no stumble or change in performance.

I allowed it to idle when I got home to see if maybe the fan wasn't kicking in and it was overheating or something but.....no issue in the garage (of course). :icon_frown:

Stitch

If you rule out the servicing and add your further description (sharp drop), I would give the electrical system a once over ( ignition switch, loose battery connections, connectors, charging output, etc.). You could even perform a "wiggle" test of the harness and connectors that you can get to while the bike is idling in the garage and see if it drops out. 

Fuel filter or pressure/volume issue usually shows up decelerating (stall to a light) or sluggish acceleration (hesitation). If you are confident you have had the fuel filter changed within a year and you are not getting loads of crap in the gas, I would look towards other things since the bike "turns off" abruptly.

You don't have to install the TOR tune and as you state" is not required". It is up to you and your exhaust (even with the baffles in) will support the better fuel mapping. If you do decide to go to the TOR tune, I would wait until your intermittent bug is solved. I was amazed how much smoother the engine performed (cruising speeds)and I may have lost a half to one MPG.

John Stenhouse

I would go for a vacuum leak, mine did that a couple of times when the lines were cracked, mind you it also idled like a bag of bolts. Has done it once or twice since I did the lines but the cause now is I think I set the idle just a tad too low and when I slam the throttle shut it dies if I have the clutch in.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

deepsouthtiger

Thanks much, appears I am going to HAVE to spend some time in the garage this weekend chasing down the gremlin.....I think they are calling for rain this weekend so seems like a great way to spend the day with my favorite kitty. :icon_wink:

metalguru

Sharp drop sounds very much like IACV gummed up.
While you are there check the convoluted tubes running from same to throttle bodies, if they are the originals they will be getting old and cracked up....bit like me really.   :thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

deepsouthtiger

Gave her a good once over today....Stitch you may have called it.  The positive battery connection was a tad lose, and the battery had shifted a bit (my rubber battery strap rotted away a year or so ago) and the negative cable was "just" touching the frame!!!

Fixed it and went for a long ride.........no staling.....  Hopefully thats the deal.  But will continue to investigate.

Also going to try the TOR tune and see if that may help as well.

Does anyone have the link to the proper tune for an '05?

Stitch

http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html

Scroll down to the Tiger 955i. My VIN utilized the "10173" tune (OEM TORS).

Glad it appears it is a simple fix.

deepsouthtiger

metalguru

That tune will sort out many of the running probs but may need some work on the map to get rid of slow speed surging, if you get the surging let me know and the tune can be modded.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

deepsouthtiger