News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any steamer owners in MN? with carb genius?

Started by DWNUNDR, May 28, 2013, 01:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWNUNDR

well I pulled the tank after dinner, took a guess at which carb I opened teh diaphragm  on and voila.. guessed right... bike seems to have it balls back but there is still a LOUD rattle and I am pretty convinced it is to do with the starter... or at least thats where it rattles the most.. engine and area around it doesnt vibrate thru it as strong, but touch the starter and it feels like someone is tapping it....

with all the starting issues I had to charge the battery a lot and jumping it while charging etc I hope I havent damaged that DAR thing or whatever happens with low batteries and starting them....

next problem to dig thru now

1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

Mustang

that airbox rubber aint sealed worth a shit to the carb throat either . :bug_eye
Run it like that long enough and you will need a valve job and rings after you ingest enough dust .
you do realize that You are creating your own problems . :thumbsup
the starter will only make noise when you are starting it .if the sprag clutch is damaged .

the starter has nothing to do with DAR ( dreaded alternator rattle)

DWNUNDR

I will check it again... never took enough notice I guess...

and isnt this how we learn??? screw things up... at least my posts havent been a common theme...

I took it to the dealer and they F****** it up....  blah blah blah  Im man enough to say never working on this bike before doing all this I know I was bound to mess some things up... ;)

I am going to tighten everything again.. make sure its all seated right... then I guess we will find out if thats whats causing the noise... but I am doubtful...

Mustang you did see the video I posted in the other thread I started?? thats the noise

DWNUNDR

MUSTANG:

I re-checked the rubbers... all around on all carbs... loosened them all, pushed the carbs forward then the airbox... barely anything moved... the rubbers seem to be lined up with the dowel, they are as far forward on the carb inlet as they can go.. the clamps are all tightened down as far as they can be...

So I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing... ie what is the issue you are spotting??? seriously.. I am scratching my head trying to see what you mean... I want to know oh wise one ;) (seriously) what have I screwed up there this time haha

Sin_Tiger

I think you may have to invest in some new carb rubbers. Unless they are soft and pliable, you will struggle to get a decent seal. Worth giving the air box a good going over while you've got it apart,  sounds like the bike has been molested in the past.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: DWNUNDR on June 03, 2013, 05:58:05 AM

So I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing... ie what is the issue you are spotting??? seriously.. I am scratching my head trying to see what you mean... I want to know oh wise one ;) (seriously) what have I screwed up there this time haha

Looking at the pic you posted, the airbox isn`t seated on the carb properly.

DWNUNDR

I guess I just am not getting it... the rubbers are all soft and pliable... they are against the airbox and on the carb as good as they can be... and they are tightened down!!!

Mustang

DWNUNDR

Thanks Mustang.. your explanation now makes sense... I honestly never thought that was not on right... didnt think they were that precise but I will go over them tonight and redo them...

so from your words.... make the clip line up better (perpendicular to carb) and move that boot on the carb side back a little??? or it should line up with that edge of the carb inlet!!!!???

thanks again for the time you have taken to help out...

Mustang

no the boots on engine side are where they need to be
heres a tip

loosen all three air box clamps
with one hand pick the bottom of the airbox up a little bit . it will line up better with carbs
dont try to get all three boots on
get the left one on first and tighten the clamp down while holding it in place
do the center
now do the right one

now repeat after me .......
"If it aint broke , don't fuck with it " :icon_lol:

DWNUNDR

Quote from: Mustang on June 03, 2013, 10:39:41 PM
now repeat after me .......
"If it aint broke , don't fuck with it " :icon_lol:
thats the problem.. something was and I made it worse hahahaha

I am out there now trying to determine exactly what is rattling... I believe its on teh right side beneath the larger cover... is that in where the alternator is??? the sound changes with engine revs... leads me to believe it is within something that spins... I had previously said starter area but as you pointed out the starter only spins when starting... btu in my frustrations most my logic had been vented haha...

Is there oil in behind this large engine cover??

Mustang

lots of oil , and a clutch, and some gears ............... seriously don't go there , you are not ready grasshopper

you could well have the dar  , the alternator is on the left side though , but I don't recommend you attempt it .
It will be way more costly for you when you screw up , and it is real easy to drop the spag clutch into the bowels of the motor and require a case split

do a search for DAR

DWNUNDR

I've read almost all the threads... I am not ready to pull motors apart.. I have worked as a basic auto tech for about 6 yrs but have never done internal stuff as I know what I know and I never jump into things unless I feel ok about it and am ready.... I know I could do it if I took the time.. just dont have the time or patience at the moment hahaha

but since going over everything again it doesnt seem to be as loud as it was... seems to have all settled down to the normal noise aka rattles it has always made hahaha

I appreciate your vote of confidence though.. hahahaha (what just cause the clamp was 2mm off hgahahahaha)

DWNUNDR

back to the drawing board... rode it to work today (first actual ride since putting it back together).. thing rode like a scalded cat on carpet... I thought it ran nice before var the slight flat spot under hard throttle... this AM was almost scary in comparison.. the power and torque was amazing....

by this afternoons commute home there was a few pops, and hesitation under 4K rpm especially in lower gears (ie cruising thru town)...

by the time I got home it was surging around 50mph on 5th (about 4K rpm) by surging I mean it was like all of a sudden it wanted to take off like a scared cat.. it thrust forward then didnt... by the time I stopped in the workshop the left pipe had some smoke (looked like gas smoke ie blue/grey not white) but it went away idling...

So throwing my hands up for now... either I go thru it all again... or I just drive my car... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr