News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

gearbox/clutch noise issue

Started by gilly527, July 04, 2013, 10:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilly527

About two weeks ago I started getting a noise from my gearbox/ clutch. It only happens in gear 1 when I pull off from a complete stop. It sounds like a midget with a sledgehammer knocking the inside of the gearbox once and only once. It doesn't happen ever time I pull off but probably about 50% of the time. I have not heard this switching gears or at any other time when riding.

Any ideas what it might be? Is it worth me opening her up and taking a good look around the clutch/gearbox?
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

metalguru

Sounds like a tight spot in the chain and adjustment, worn front sproket, worn slider at the outside.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

gilly527

So that noise could be caused by the chain?! I'll have to check it as I already think I do have a tight area in my chain. So it probably isn't anything on the inside of her then. Any tips on how to reduce the wear on the chain slider on the rear swing arm? I'm on my second one in like 20000 miles. The one on there now could use being replaced soon.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.