News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I finally found my Steamer

Started by ssevy, July 18, 2013, 04:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I currently own a 99 Legend, and am absolutely in love with that triple engine. As much as I love riding it, I also live in an area with lots of dirt roads, and wish to ride the Trans Lab and Rockies before I die, so have been looking for a bike which has that great triple and the dirt capability as well. The Steamer is hands down my favorite looking bike of all time, but finding one in the color and kind of condition I want has been very difficult. I was about ready to give up, when I found a Want Ad Digest in a garbage can and looked in the motorcycle section just for laughs. There it was! 95 Triumph Tiger, and not even 60 miles away! The ad had expired, but the owner still had it, and was anxious to sell it as a back injury had finally caught up with him after many years. He was a great guy, and while he didn't really know the bike very well, he had enjoyed it after purchasing from a friend who had lots of bikes but no time to ride them all. I rode my Legend down and took the Tiger for a test ride. Never having been on one before it was certainly not a Legend, but it did handle as a triumph should, and the engine of course was just the same. Basically I loved it, and the owner and I came to a fair price so I have finally joined the elite club of Steamer enthusiasts. I'll ride it stock this season, and start the hunt for accessories over the winter.
Condition is cherry, with one small bubble on the tank, a small tear in the seat, and some small scratches on the left side. Only 17,000 miles.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

TripleTragic

Nice pick up, ssevy.  Its funny how this engine tends to habit forming.
Good things come in Threes

97tiger885

Quote from: TripleTragic on July 18, 2013, 01:03:40 PM
Nice pick up, ssevy.  Its funny how this engine tends to habit forming.

I just had a 96 Trident shipped from FL for that very reason.  Wanted the 885 engine in roadster trim.

ssevy

Update:
I picked it up and rode it home tonight, and it is similar to my Legend in that it shivers like a baby pissing its diaper whenever you twist the throttle under 3500 RPMs. The front end brake dive can be corrected with the same model Ricor Intiminators I have installed in my Legend, and they transformed that bike. (They also happen to be on sale for $179 right now. Wee-oo!) The long travel suspension soaks up the road bumps real well, but the riding position of the footpegs is at least as tight as the Legend. Time for some of Mustang's lowered pegs I think. The moose bars would probably help as well. The stock screen buffets me like crazy, so I've got to get a taller one. The battery is the same as in the Legend, so I'm popping the AGM currently in the Legend into it, and buying a new AGM for the Legend before the Classic Triples Rally. Tires will be needed before next season, and I need to find a good compromise between road/dirt. The 6th gear drops it to around 4K at 65 MPH, and it just kind of loafs along on the straight stretches. Since it has been sitting awhile, it hiccoughs a bit when you get on it, and it doesn't give me the kick in the pants the Legend does. Of course, the mods I have done on my Legend help alot, and this one is still a stock bike. Will see how I like the Mikunis. With such a different set up overall, it is pretty hard to tell just how much impact the carbs have right now, especially since it has stock mufflers and the buffeting covers any exhaust sounds. Overall, just what I wanted, and a perfect blank slate to create a grand touring rig for myself. Trans Labrador next summer Mustang?

threepot

Try some fuel system cleaner if its been standing :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

I dumped a bottle of Techron in it the other day, and got back out to ride today. I had just finished about two hours of riding the Legend, so it was interesting to compare notes. I did reset the suspension, which was quite different from the soft settings the PO had.
The fuel system cleaner took care of the roughness, which is gone now, and the bike handled much better with things firmed up. I weigh about 235 lbs., so the stiffer settings eliminated most of that old baby carriage swaying.
Much tighter handling, and now it feels more like the Legend in turns, even with that wagon wheel on front.
I have to say it again: I think these are the best looking bike on the road, and I feel so lucky to have found one in the color and condition I wanted. This is a love affair that is going to last forever, I think.

ssevy

Finally got it on some dirt roads tonight. Handled great, and it was cool to power slide the rear end. Back on the black top I did notice a flat spot when you first get onto the throttle. After a second or two, it really leaps into action, but the initial throttle response feels almost like a car with the clutch slipping. I will get out the Carbtune and check the synch of the carbs, but maybe I'll have to do some carb mods like on my Legend. The Mikunis are new to me, so lots of reading first is in order. This bike idles beautifully. Starts in a second, and then goes to a perfect idle at about 900 RPMs with not a skip or stumble of any kind.
My buddy rode with me on his weestrom, and we switched bikes about halfway. He has ridden my Legend, so he knows what the triples can do, but he was still impressed with the overall package. I really like the riding position of his wee, as it fits me beautifully. Hopefully, Mustang's lowered pegs and the Moose ATV bars will get me closer to that more upright position.
I've got new tubes, rim strips and tires due here tomorrow, as are Mustang's pegs (thanks for filling that order so quickly!), handlebars, new Motobatt battery, cam cover gasket and battery strap due soon thereafter. Either this weekend or next week will be a busy few days.

Mustang

the atv bend bars are going to make a huge difference on your wrists and upright position  :thumbsup

you'll get a better snap out of those mikunis if you turn the idle up to around 1150 rpm

ssevy

Have never heard of that trick. I'll try it. Thanks.

ssevy

Mustang, you are one great machinist! These pegs look more like pieces of fine jewelry than motorcycle parts. I really like the oversize design for long days in the saddle. My arches get tired and sore on the smaller pegs. Installation was all of 5 minutes. My worries about adequate range of adjustment for the brake and shift levers were unfounded, as everything adjusted just fine. Thanks!