News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Wipping and Banging

Started by aesdj, May 14, 2013, 07:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

Went for a weekend away and about 50 miles in there was a knocking/banging from the left side when I set off which went as the speed increased. First though was the box but I pulled over and spun the rear wheel, nothing. Started her up, quite as a mouse. Put her in gear and let the clutch out and every now and then, either on the top or bottom the chain wipped making a banging and some times it was that bad the bike rocked back and forth. Tight link I though but it spun fine when in neutral, strange. Got to the hotel and lathered it in scott oil and left it over night. Next day fine for the first 20/30 miles then slowly the noise came back. I now know its the chain and I've not looked at it since I got home but whats your thoughts? I would'nt think a link could get tight so quick and what would make it get tight when I'm running an oiler. The chain has been on the bike since I've had it (4.5 years)and done maybe 12000 in that time. Sprockets look good so I don't think its done many miles before I got it.

Timbox2

Only thing this reminds me of is possibly something to do with the lower chain guide block, it sits on one of the engine mounting bolts behind the footpeg. On my old Tiger it had somehow turned on the spacer and was catching the chain every now and then.

Heres a couple of pics from the archive, sure you can work out old and new

This is the correct way up, chain should slide along top, mine had turned around 180.
2016 Tiger Sport

aesdj

Thanks for that, I'll check it at the weekend. Could be something like that as it started very suddenly.

chairhead

I know its an oldish thread but......

I changed mine today, the guide had completely worn and the alu spacer had chain wear it was a pig to get out and was a hell of a job to try and get the spacer back in.........until that is I had a light bulb  :sign13 moment and loosened the swing arm pivot :BangHead it flew in after that, Doh!!!! ,for those of you who have the centre stand I put that back in place minus the footrest as the guide mates with the centre stand plate to stop it rotating,secure the mounting bolt then remove the centre stand and put the footrest on with the centre stand.....does that make sense?, and all this in my cooker of a garage  :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel