News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grip question

Started by ssevy, July 26, 2013, 02:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I was taking the controls off my stock handlebars tonight getting ready to swap in the Moose bars, and this is how the PO had the grips installed:

Notice the half mile of electrician's tape between the handlebar weight and the grip end. Either the grips are incorrect and too short (the factory manual shows this grip's same rib count in detail however), or the bar end weights have been swapped. Here's the gap with the tape removed (sorry the focus is bad):

I replaced my Legend grips with some Fin-Q grips, and I have the stock ones in my parts bin. Before I went to the Fin-Q, I used the stock grips with Grab-on foam covers which really helped my carpal tunnel. Using the grips in the pictures makes both of my hands go to sleep, so at the least I need to put Grab-on foam covers over the top of the existing ones, or put my Legend ones on with foam covers. Someone suggested going with heated grips, but I know when I checked a heated clothing website the output from our alternators was pretty poor, and wouldn't run more than one thing at a time, so I'm not sure that is a good option.
Can someone tell me if my photos show a factory set-up, and if so, what goes in that gap where the PO put all the tape?
If anyone has any aftermarket suggestions for grips, I am all ears.
Thanks a bunch!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

ssevy

Thanks. I'll try a set of those. Any ideas about the extra space on my bars?

HeavyHustler

Move your grips and controls back out where they belong.  Might have been the PO's preference to have them pushed in.

ssevy

I was wondering if that might be the issue. I haven't taken the controls off yet, and assumed the index pin had to be in the positioning hole in the handlebar, and therefore the issue was with the grips themselves. When I remove the controls, all should reveal itself. Thanks for that.

HeavyHustler

When I switched bars on my S3 I just shaved of the pin on the controls and assembled.  They don't move around.  Might save you trying to drill tiny holes in the right place the first time......  :P