News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tyres yet again

Started by Spud, June 27, 2013, 07:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

If my rehab on a neck injury goes well enough I'm off to central Spain in September. I will be riding down through France but 5 days of the trip will be off road. I am looking for suggestions with regards to tyre choice. I usually run Anakees but I want something that will last the trip down and back and handle the off road bits.
Suggestions please

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Advwannabe

These:

Heidenau K60 scouts. These are a genuine 50/50 tire with good grip on and off road. They feel a bit lumpy initially when you ride them  onroad but both Ed ( Steamer) and I have had pegs (mustang pegs) and centerstands dragging on the road with no grip issues. They let go in the wet a little sooner than Tourances but they are not dangerous.

Off road they are just fantastic. It's nice to have a front end that sticks in the gravel for a change.

I get between 6-8k kilometers out of a rear and about 10K that on the front compared to 15-18k out of a set of tourances.

They look all hardened adventurer as well. 
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Spud

Thank you that's the type of info I wanted cheers Spud  :thumbsup

deepsouthtiger

I have thoroughly enjoy my Shinko 705's and the pair cost about the same as 1 Anakee rear.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Spud

greatbuffalo

I can attest to the greatness of the Heidenau tires. I get lots of miles out of them and after trying several different tires, would use nothing else on my Tiger. I do like the Shinko's on my KLR but the Heidenau's for the Tiger.
2001 Triumph Tiger. Black

eurobykz

Go with Heidenau k60 Scout.   There's really not that much available in the size required by a Girly, but these are great. 

I just got home from taking tigger all the way around north America,  highways,  byways,  gravel, dirt, mud, muskeg, snow (of course) and some bare granite bedrock outcrop of the canadian shield in some desolate part of northern ontario (pavement is for wussies and americans who don't have our great rock - wet fractured muddy flat granite outcrop interspersed with sections of loose sand brings "surfaced road" to a whole new level :icon_lol:   

there isn't much left on the rear after about 13000 km, but still rideable on pavement (but I'm not going back to that northern Ontario granite until I get a new rear k60.  Te front is amazingly in good shape, I bet it's got several thousand km more...

On the highway, they're fine - and probably better than TKC's.  Nowhere near as good as tourances at speed on asphalt,  but I scraped all sorts of bits when I went through the famous deal's gap dragon road in Tennessee...

I won't be buying TKC's any more - these last more than twice as long.

cheers

Ian
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2007 MotoGuzzi Breva V11 (Italian Mistress)
2004 Tigger 955i 
2014 KTM Duke690 (impulse purchase)

Spud

Thank you all, I will be chucking some on for my Spanish trip. Ride down then 5 days off road and then ride back.  :bug_eye

If there's anyone interested there are places available 

http://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/

Spud

Looking at buying a set of K60's what tyre pressures you guys running them off and on road

jnutiger

I'm running a K60 on the rear and a TKC on the front.  On road pressure 35 psi rear/32 psi front.  Off road pressure 28 psi rear/25 psi front.  I'm 180 lbs  and normally have about 40 lbs of gear.  I've gone through two sets of Shinko 705's and think they are a great 80/20 tire, but for the 50/50 runs, the K60/TKC combo has been great.
2006 Tiger

Spud

Thank you, but it looks like I wont be needing them for a while the guy I was going with has just had an "off". Broken ankle, leg,  collar bone and a few ribs. The bike spat him off crossing a ford  :icon_redface:  :icon_eek:

So I might now be doing the Pico's and the Pyrenees and leaving the Anakees on, but we plan to do next year at this rate,

Bixxer Bob

Don't you be using the "F" word in here.....   :icon_redface:

Glad he's not too badly bent though. :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: Spud on July 27, 2013, 03:34:21 PM
Thank you, but it looks like I wont be needing them for a while the guy I was going with has just had an "off". Broken ankle, leg,  collar bone and a few ribs. The bike spat him off crossing a ford  :icon_redface:  :icon_eek:

So I might now be doing the Pico's and the Pyrenees and leaving the Anakees on, but we plan to do next year at this rate,

If you go to the Pico's try and base yourself in Potes and at least have a night in the Parador in Fuente De,but don't going rocking up with a GPS you will need to buy a map locally it's another world you'll smile next time folks are talking about the Alps.