News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo Drive

Started by Chris Canning, August 15, 2013, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Having had all mine apart today and found the drive ring/magnet ring cracked in half have just put it all back together and it still works checked a newish spare I have and here's a couple of photos,for anyone wondering what's inside.

Bixxer Bob

That's another myth put to bed then Chris; experience among Tiger owners has led to the general belief (although I really can't come up with any science to back it up) that a cracked magnet was the reason for a non-functioning speedo.  So......I wonder what has been the cause  :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

God knows how many times I have stripped and cleaned my speedo drive and when I came to do it today it was absolutely minging!!,I have always used plenty of grease and found the best way of cleaning it all out it with loo paper!!,drive came out in two halves and I thought scht sorted my spare out and then thought I'll clean it all up and give it a go,have ridden the bike down the road and it works fine.

Going off at a tangent,was wondering if there is any difference between a new clutch cable and one that's 12 years old,bought a new'un and and fitted it!!! no there isn't  :icon_redface:

But don't ya just love fresh rubber  :icon_biggrin:

Bixxer Bob

Oh yes!  Can't wait to get mine back on road rubber, but these Tourances are lasting for ever.... :icon_mad:

I might just bin them anyway, the vibration from them is bloody irritating after a couple of hours...

Haven't thought about the clutch cable but I'm waiting for a new throttle cable coming.  I've had a bit of trouble with high tickover the last couple of days, similar to Howie a few months back.  A little push on the butterflies brings it back down so a new cable should sort it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 15, 2013, 11:40:20 PM
Oh yes!  Can't wait to get mine back on road rubber, but these Tourances are lasting for ever.... :icon_mad:

I might just bin them anyway, the vibration from them is bloody irritating after a couple of hours...

Haven't thought about the clutch cable but I'm waiting for a new throttle cable coming.  I've had a bit of trouble with high tickover the last couple of days, similar to Howie a few months back.  A little push on the butterflies brings it back down so a new cable should sort it.

Yeah that did it for mine but I also Telfon lubed all the butterfly pivots. Been perfect ever since.

My clutch was getting heavy at the same time I had the tickover problems. I had a brand new one routed next to what must be the OE one. Hell of a difference when I swapped them.

And I'm loving my new set of Roadsmart II.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 15, 2013, 11:40:20 PM

I've just taken a perfectly good pair of Road Smarts off(Stafford show!!) the Tiger front was very good rear had just started to loose it's profile and would have done the trip down into Spain although they both got very hot and discoloured last year on the way to Mugello and to be honest I couldn't be bothered life is way too short to be riding around on part worns.

Bixxer Bob

What are they that you've fitted then Chris?

Chris Canning

They are Dunlop Sport Smarts,I acquired several pairs and while I do like Road Smarts because of the stiff side walls and hence the quick turn in,I've put these on as an experiment,I have used them before on both my K and 1100s and recently tried a combo of Sport on the front and Road on the back of my XT as it eats tires at an alarming rate and it's quickened up the steering no end.

The trip is only to Le-Mans down into Spain and then across to Bilbao so it's not as though they have a long way to go.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 17, 2013, 02:54:13 PM
The trip is only to Le-Mans down into Spain and then across to Bilbao so it's not as though they have a long way to go.

Far enough to get an idea though eh? :icon_mrgreen:

Chris Canning

For as long as I can remember when we have been leaving the hotel in Le-Mans on the Monday morn after the race always say to my other half we really should be going south!!,so this year we are we've 4 days to dawdle down to Aragon for the GP and catch the ferry out of Bilbao on the Tuesday.

Hence why it's been like this for a couple of days,but done in a rush because I never trust the tank in case it goes out of shape because it always seems to be a bit of a bugger to fit back on if it's been off a while.

blacktiger

2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

In all honesty never felt the need bike works well starts on the button and it runs hunky dory to the point I'm still only on my second battery in over 12 years,but when we now travel leave various parts already packed with instructions to 24 hour DHL'em to what ever address I text.

But I've always believed it's not hard work and miles that's kills e'm(the bike) it's winter salt,because mine has sen 1000's of miles in wet weather and it's been fine,famous last words!!!!!!!

It's quite funny when the guys we are going to travel with ask 'Are you going on the K' no I reply the tiger I'm met with long faces they hate the dam thing  because it covers ground so well :icon_lol: and they are one up.

Bixxer Bob

And no where near as comfy  :icon_mrgreen: