News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Alternative brake discs

Started by PJD, April 08, 2011, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJD

I have a 2001 955i with wire wheels. All three brake discs need replacing but Triumph want to charge me £142 a disc. Are there any alternatives which are cheaper but won't warp after a few thousand miles?
2001 955i

Danny955i

EBC... they're floating rotors... much better...

You sure they're warped? Sounds like you may just have bad pads.

malc

http://www.winstonandallan.co.uk/laser_cutter.html

ive just fitted a set from these guys for front ones same as std not floaters & a very good quality item I am well impressed with them.

Half the triumph price & cheaper than going floating too ring them for a quote

postage is available you may have to wait 1 week for them to make them & make sure you tell them if its a wire wheel or cast wheel model as the ammount of bolt holes differ.
any questions pm me
its grrreaaattttttttt

PJD

Thanks for the advice guys. No my discs aren't warped, just worn out. But I have read various blogs which say that if you buy cheap discs they warp.
2001 955i

Danny955i

It's got to do with a lot of factors... Floaters help eliminate the chance of warpage, but they are quite expensive.

Stock is probably your best bet... OR... if you can find a decent set of used ones on flea-bay from a Sprint ST or Daytona. *shrug*

gilly527

do the Sprint ST and Daytona's which use the 955i motor have the same sizes of brake discs on them? I figured they'd be different since they are a totally different style of bike.

My rotors are slap worn out and I am trying to source some new cheaper ones than the ridiculously priced Triumph ones.

What did you end up doing for replacing yours?
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Chris Canning

The question you have to ask yourself 'Are you in it for the long haul' if the answer is no fit any old crap and that includes stock triumph discs new or other wise if yes it's either EBC or Beringer,I've had my Beringers on must be close on 10 years done around 35,000 miles and there's not a blemish on e'm not even the slightest wear mark.

daveb

Quote from: PJD on April 08, 2011, 02:38:17 PM
I have a 2001 955i with wire wheels. All three brake discs need replacing but Triumph want to charge me £142 a disc. Are there any alternatives which are cheaper but won't warp after a few thousand miles?

PJD, have a look at these http://www.blackshadow-uk.co.uk/ they are made in Wales, I have heard good reports

http://www.bikersoracle.com/zx9/forum/showthread.php?t=14612

NortonCharlie

I have the EBC floating disks on one of my 01 955 Tigers.  I use the more aggressive (H I think)  EBC pads with them.  I am very happy with them.  I had to hit the bolts with a propane torch to soften the locktite to get them out.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando