News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starting issue help please

Started by warrachuppin, October 18, 2013, 02:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warrachuppin

Hi All

I have just bought a 1995 Steamer, I am picking it up tomorrow and I know of a couple of issues that I need to sort.

I have looked through many posts and got quite a bit of advice but I am not 100% sure I have the same problem.

Here goes - When trying to start the bike it sometimes turns over but does not start, the side stand is up. If you play with the switch it fires into life.

Now having read the other posts does should the bike turn over at all if the switch is faulty, that seems strange to me, I would assume it would not.

Its just funny as soon as you wiggle the switch it seems fine.

I can bridge the switch but i'm just not convinced it should turn over.

Any suggestions is much appreciated, I will be starting work on it soon :-)

With thanks Daz

ned37

my steamer will start and run but will die if gear is engaged with the stand down.  i have jumpered out the clutch switch. 
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

ssevy

I am not sure why you would disable the clutch switch? When would you want to have the bike running in gear while your side stand was down?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Solon

Quote from: ssevy on October 20, 2013, 01:39:14 AM
I am not sure why you would disable the clutch switch? When would you want to have the bike running in gear while your side stand was down?
:thumbsup
All bike - or at least all bikes I've had - are designed like that, the engine should not start with the side stand down if any gear is engaged, regardless of whether one uses the clutch to disengage transmission or not. They are designed like that from reasons of safety - you wouldn't like to forget the bike is in gear when parked and send it through the garage door by itself when you press the starter button. However, if that's what you want  :icon_scratch:, disabling that switch brings one step closer to succeeding... :icon_mrgreen:

ned37

QuoteI am not sure why you would disable the clutch switch
comes from years of fiddling with bikes.  if making adjustments its a pain to have to put down the tool in your hand to squeeze the clutch.  but the kickstand switch is a good one for me as i get older.  hate to think how many times i took off with the stand down on my old t150.  embarrassing if your first turn is a left.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e