News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Petrol Tank bubbles/blisters

Started by fraserdog, December 12, 2013, 08:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Rather funny the various site's I use have all started talking about fuel/ethanol/plastic tanks in any order you like.

TigerT

I have had a major problem with this and tank was completely distorted and covered in bubbles. A bike mechanic mate of mine has had a couple of Truimphs where the tank has just suddenly started leaking and then it's finished. It's all down to ethanol as far as I can find out. Main solution is to use premium fuel such as BP ultimate. There is a tank sealant from a Royal Enfield part place which a friend of mine uses on his fibreglass tanks which have an even worse issue with ethanol. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/search?function=search&searchterm=sealant&x=30&y=11
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

trophydave

No problems with the Tigger but the tank on the Sprint ST that I had before it had swollen and was a pig to re fit after removal.

birddogone

T, Your right! Ethanol is a huge concern in the boating community, any of the older boats like Bertram, Hatteras and Blackfin that all had factory installed fiberglass fuel tanks have to be replaced with aluminum tanks. Unfortunately most don't realize until it's too late, the tanks coming apart ruining gas motors.
Ethanol is one of fiberglass's worse enemies!

The previous owner of my Girly had the tank repainted and the tiger stripes air brushed on which solved the problem.

Quote from: TigerT on December 27, 2013, 04:25:22 PM
I have had a major problem with this and tank was completely distorted and covered in bubbles. A bike mechanic mate of mine has had a couple of Truimphs where the tank has just suddenly started leaking and then it's finished. It's all down to ethanol as far as I can find out. Main solution is to use premium fuel such as BP ultimate. There is a tank sealant from a Royal Enfield part place which a friend of mine uses on his fibreglass tanks which have an even worse issue with ethanol. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/search?function=search&searchterm=sealant&x=30&y=11
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

At under $4 a gallon  :icon_eek: I could stand the stickers peeling off  :icon_lol:

Even in this thing it was like driving around for free.