News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked sump

Started by bush2beach, February 08, 2014, 07:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bush2beach

Hey guys, It had to happen, pushed my tiger to the limits of it's off road capabilities and put a small crack about half inch long in the sump.  :bug_eye
Wanting to know any hints as to what kind of weld/fix etc is best to rectify this? I'm not even sure what they are made of. Thanks for any help 

Bixxer Bob

Please fill in your general location  Bushy, I'm guessing Oz somewhere?  Reason is if you're out in the sticks it's no good advising you pop down to your local breakers yard.

The sump is ally.  Problem is it's also the bottom half of the crankcase.  That means a complete strip if you want to try welding.  It's generally thought that you can't weld oily casings because the oil gets into the metal, but I've had some success after diligent and thorough cleaning.  Your best hope would be some brand of metal epoxy but, again, the oil could prevent it taking.

A picture of the damage would help.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Find someone who welds alloy,a lot of folk do not like dealing with it because the quote I had 'You never know WTF is in the alloy mix,the guys around the corner from have been lucky to find a guy who's good with alloy you will need to find the same.

Bixxer Bob

I think Chris and I are saying basically the same; oily alloy can be welded, not strong enough for structural but strong enough not to leak, but you need someone determined to make it work, not someone who's looking for an excuse.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

bush2beach

Thanks heaps, I think I've found someone to weld it up for me, does a lot of alloy fabrication, mods on boats etc, will try and post some before and after pics.