News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Plugged gas cap vent

Started by NebraskaRat, March 18, 2005, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NebraskaRat

Here's a new one for you Tiger owners to watch out for. I recently had a gage light burn out and removed the front fairing on my '02 to replace it. I thought it popped out from inside edges of the gas tank fairly hard this time (I've removed it several times before). When I went to put it back on there was no way the 2 tabs at the back of the fairing would slide inside the gas tank front edges. the fairing was +1" wider at that point than the tank. I started to look at the tank, there was less the 3/4" between the inside edge of the tank and the bottom triple clamp. Also, the bottom edge of the tank was touching the radiator on one side and less that 3/8" away on the other side. I'm going what the heck? This tank is collapsing! I give a quick call to Baxter's and Kevin thinks about it a minute and says " pop your gas cap". I had to pull quite hard on the cap and it opened with a loud "woosh". The tank went Booing! and the fairing fit back into place. Apparantlly the vent was plugged, and I had run a full tank almost to empty with the bike running great. No sign of leaness or fuel starvation. I traced out the gas cap vent line, opened the cap and gave a good blow on the hose end that's below the engine. Then I looked in the rim around the gas tank and saw a dried up black bug laying there.

It hasn't done it since.

Mike

Green Geck0

Quote from: "NebraskaRat"Then I looked in the rim around the gas tank and saw a dried up black bug laying there.

It hasn't done it since.

Mike

Did it look like this??

Mudhen

I just signed in to ask the forum about a whistling from my gas tank - I wonder if it's this same issue.  I parked the bike ('96) in the garage and couldn't figure out where this strange whistling was coming from.  Popped the gas cap open and it whooshed a little and stopped.

Guess I'll look for a vent tube...

So, thanks!
\'96 Steamer