News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RPM vs MPH

Started by NeilD, October 11, 2009, 05:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

not sure if my speedo is accurate.. i think its reading 'fast' as I dont feel I'm going as fast as its saying..

today it was showing 80mph at 5500 RPM in top.. assuming standard gearing, is this correct?

ramseybella

Quote from: "NeilD"not sure if my speedo is accurate.. i think its reading 'fast' as I dont feel I'm going as fast as its saying..

today it was showing 80mph at 5500 RPM in top.. assuming standard gearing, is this correct?

I took mine out last night was hitting 105MPH in 6th and was doing  5K to 6K, never will I take this beast at that speed again it does not take to the wind very well.
Was tears rolling out of your eyes? You may have been going faster than you think. :shock:

Mustang

This is with standard 18/48 sprockets in sixth gear , and I know my speedometer is very accurate at this speed as it has been "calibrated" by California Highway Patrol's Radar gun :ImaPoser

NeilD

Quote from: "Mustang"This is with standard 18/48 sprockets in sixth gear , and I know my speedometer is very accurate at this speed as it has been "calibrated" by California Highway Patrol's Radar gun :ImaPoser

thanks, looks like its about right then... thourght I'd ask before I received a similar calibration check..  :D

Sin_Tiger

Borrow a GPS to check it  :D
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

When my speedo drive broke I used a cycle speedo for a couple of months until I could get the required part from ebay.  Now I have replaced the speedo drive I have both at once.  Typically the original speedo shows 2-5mph more than the cycle one.  I guess that the triumph item is designed to over read slightly to avoid litigation issues.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

oxnsox

QuoteI guess that the triumph item is designed to over read slightly to avoid litigation issues.
Try telling that to the bloke with the book as he writes you a note...  :D  :D

IF, any manufacturers do do this I doubt it has anything to do with avoiding tickets...  more to do with making the machines look faster for their owners egos.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

All manufacturers do this.  Think about it.  Imagine the implications of not doing it....

Went out this weekend and 5500rpm = 80mph in top .
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

So when I went out on my first ride today and the bike showed 100kph at around 4,000rpm that is about right? I was thinking that it was a bit too revvy..... but having said that it's the first multi I've ridden in a few years!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Our local speedwatch group has installed a speed checker in the village and shows my Girly to be spot on. My Garmin GPS says the same.  I asked about the speedchecker and it has a calibration certificate so I know it to be correct. Worth looking around your location se if you have one. Or use a GPS.

Interestingly, my 4x4 is showing 33mph when doing 30 and my motorhome, like the Girly, is spot on.  The Backbird is about 10% high across the whole range (by GPS I'm not that daft) and the old Yam likewise.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

I'm not too concerned about speed; don't go fast enough any more to excite the local plod. But I do like a relaxed engine cadence... if that is poss in a multi.  :icon_wink:

JayDub

Quote from: NeilD on October 11, 2009, 05:33:56 PM
not sure if my speedo is accurate.. i think its reading 'fast' as I dont feel I'm going as fast as its saying..

i have a free android phone app called speedometer  :icon_scratch: - it works really well - handy if your speedo cable breaks too.

nickjtc

Interestingly enough this bike has the most accurate speedo/odometer combination I have ever seen. With stock sized tyres (Tourance NEXTs), and using a Garmin GPS for calibration, the speedo is only 2-3% optimistic and the odometer shows a discrepancy of only 150 metres over 100 kilometres.