News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

red oil light flickered on, bike died while riding

Started by raiderone, June 06, 2014, 07:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raiderone

Went out for a short ride in the evening rode maybe 15 minutes bike running great, I go to make a left turn to head home and the bike dies like I hit the kill switch no warning, sputter, nothing. The red oil light comes on and now the bike will not start again and the red oil light is staying on. What do I need to check first? Before I drag it to the dealer 75 miles away.

Thanks raider

fraserdog

I don't think the red oil light has any bearing on the problem as it will come on when the engine stops,similarly it won't go off until the engine starts as it is a pressure warning light.Someone more experienced than me will probably be along soon to give you pointers to the underlying problem of the non starting issue.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

HockleyBoy

Start with a look at the ignition wiring, there have been a number of Tigers which have suffered corrosion/breakdown of the solder here. Being as it was sudden a wire may have come adrift.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

QuoteI don't think the red oil light has any bearing on the problem as it will come on when the engine stops,similarly it won't go off until the engine starts as it is a pressure warning light.

Quote from: HockleyBoy on June 06, 2014, 09:31:24 AM
Being as it was sudden a wire may have come adrift.

:iagree

Start with the basic stuff, is your battery voltage good, unlikely to have any bearing on this but at least you know what sort voltage you should be getting as you go down the line with checks.

QuoteI go to make a left turn

That is very suggestive of a cable connection fault as the previous posters mention.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

raiderone

The battery is brand new and stays on a battery tender when I am not riding. I will look for broken wires and loose connection over the weekend. Where would be the best place ti start my search for broken connections?

Mustang

Quote from: raiderone on June 06, 2014, 07:44:23 PM
The battery is brand new and stays on a battery tender when I am not riding. I will look for broken wires and loose connection over the weekend. Where would be the best place ti start my search for broken connections?
start at the key switch ,as thats probably where the fault is , it is usually broken solder contacts inside the key switch housing .

NortonCharlie

Does the starter turn the engine over and it just doesn't fire?

Do your normal lights (neutral and such ) come on when you use the ignition switch?

Can you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you turn on the key?

01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando