News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to Tigers and need some advice!

Started by oakey134, May 01, 2014, 01:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakey134

I recently purchased an 05 Tiger with under 2K Kms on it so it's easy to tell that it has spent a lot of its life sitting around not being used. Bike starts and runs good except for the low RPM surging that I am trying to figure out. I have only had a chance to run 1 tank of fresh gas through the bike (of which I got really low gas mileage, I never even got 200 Kms to the tank.) The second tank I added some fuel injection cleaner but have only ran about a quarter of the tank through the bike. I am away now but when I return I plan on removing the tank cleaning the air filter and will probably replace the plugs as well. The battery was dead when I got the bike and would not hold a charge so I have replaced it, but I did read that low voltage can play havoc with the ECU. (is this true?) I was also wondering should I attempt to remap the bike myself or have a dealer do it. Which cable should I buy? I also plan on ordering a o2 sensor eliminator, so which one and where is the best place to order it. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mustang

start here
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10903.msg81661.html#msg81661
and here
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12926.msg94935.html#msg94935

next I would be taking the tank off and looking for a rotted or split or even pinched vacuum hose
since the bike has stood dormant so long these things are prone to decay .
there are a lot of things that can cause the issues

type the word "surging "into the search function on this site and you will get enough hits to keep you busy reading for awhile

John Stenhouse

And the o2 eliminator wont make much difference
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

And change the fuel quick disconnectors for metal ones while you have the tank off (if not already done, plenty on the subject if you do a quick search.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oakey134

I was listening to the engine the other day and I keep hearing a steady tick, I was wondering if that could be an indication of an air leak?

exchead

mine ticks when cold goes away after 5mins or so,had bike a year now so been doing it for a while im also thinking exhaust leak very minor at manofold and as the bike warms up the exhaust headers heat up and close gap and tick goes away.

Putts255

Well it sounds like you have an excellent purchase on your hands.  I got my 2001 Tiger in September 2010 (3½ years now...yikes!) and I had similar issues as you with the slight rough idle etc.  Like Mustang said do a lot of research and searches on the forum and you will find 99% of what you need, you will find it very basic and easy to follow. 

1) I would buy a can of Sea Foam at Canadian Tire.  When you are done the current tank of gas, throw half the can in and put fresh Premium gas in the tank.  Run it...it is a great product been using it for years on all gas powered units, ATV's, Motor Home, Motorcycles, Car's, Trucks, power washer, lawn mower etc etc...
2) Buy the cable and download the Tune program, look for any codes etc and remap the ECU with the correct one.  It is not hard, follow the steps, why pay a dealer $110 for something you can do in no time. 
3) I support Mustang in getting the tank off as soon as you can.  Take a look at all the vaccum hoses and seals or gaskets to make sure there is a good seal all around.  For example my throttle position sensor had a bad gasket, ordered from the dealer and replaced it right away. 
4) And as Sin Tiger said those plastic fittings if they are on the tank will break, I broke one the 3rd time I removed the tank and it was a pain. 

If you are slightly mechanically inclined this is a super bike to have and own...send me a message if you get stumped I have learned a lot about the bike and done all the basic from changing the oil in the forks to throttle body balance...I now have 26,000 km's when just 3 years ago I had 4,200...and I live in Edmonton where I am lucky to get 5 months of riding in a year. 

PS:  Also see if the recalls have been done on your bike.  Mine had 2 recalls that needed to be done, got it into the dealer and they did it straight away. 
Cheers!
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

oakey134

Thanks for all the advice/input, I will do a search for surging.

Putts, I will definitely give the seafoam a try, I picked up an old jeep a few years ago and after a couple cans of seafoam she was cleaned out and running fine. I think I will go ahead and order the replacement metal fittings.

NortonCharlie

Remember to keep your hand off the throttle when you start it. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando