News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front sprocket retaining nut size?

Started by nickjtc, July 01, 2014, 01:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Having finally got the sprocket cover off today (yes, what was Triumph thinking to make it so labourious??  :icon_frown: More of a pain than taking the carbs off to get at the air filter) and discovered that the sprocket has suffered mightily at my hands when I over tightened the chain on my trip. So I now need to undo the retaining nut.

However I cannot get my caliper in there to measure it so I can go and get the correct sized socket.

So is it 34mm or 36mm.... or something else.

Thank you.

Nick
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

nickjtc

And fwiw I tried having the sig other stand on the rear brake pedal so I could pull mightily on the new 36mm socket I just bought. To no avail. So I used the compressor with the air wrench and it spun (span?) the nut off with no issues.

Marc

Quote from: nickjtc on July 02, 2014, 02:52:46 AM
And fwiw I tried having the sig other stand on the rear brake pedal so I could pull mightily on the new 36mm socket I just bought. To no avail. So I used the compressor with the air wrench and it spun (span?) the nut off with no issues.

:iagree
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

ssevy

I have a half inch drive electric impact wrench that works beautifully for these sorts of jobs. If you don't want to spend the money on a compressor that has enough capacity to run air tools this can be a pretty inexpensive alternative.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Never been able to figure out why the torque requirement is so high for the nut because when all is said and done it is being secured by a lock/tab washer.....

Mustang

And fwiw I tried having the sig other stand on the rear brake pedal so I could pull mightily on the new 36mm socket I just bought. To no avail. So I used the compressor with the air wrench and it spun (span) the nut off with no issues.
4 foot pipe over the ratchet handle  :icon_wink:

Marc

Quote from: Mustang on July 04, 2014, 01:09:26 AM
And fwiw I tried having the sig other stand on the rear brake pedal so I could pull mightily on the new 36mm socket I just bought. To no avail. So I used the compressor with the air wrench and it spun (span) the nut off with no issues.
4 foot pipe over the ratchet handle  :icon_wink:

:nono  didn't work on mine, with the help of an assistant.
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39