News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly refresh

Started by ix, July 01, 2014, 12:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ix

My 2004 955i is now burning and leaking oil, the clutch is slipping, the external engine bolts are rusty... the engine is just wearing out. However, I've spent a lot of time setting it up the way I want it, so I'd like to keep it a while longer (at least until the prices of used Beakers come down). I see a few ways to accomplish this:

• Rebuild the engine
  • Swap in a younger engine
  • Swap my parts onto a newer bike

Option 1 sounds expensive. I need at least a clutch, rings and hone, valve job, and an oil leak somewhere to be repaired. If the bearings have worn (from the oil burning off and getting too low too often) I might also need new crank and con-rod bearings. All of this adds up, fast, and a full rebuild probably exceeds the value of the bike.

Option 2 is probably the best idea. However, I never see low-mileage 2001-2004 girlies for sale, so I'd probably have to use a 2005-2006 engine,. I see a lot of these with very low miles for sale, and as an added bonus there was a minor power boost in 2005. Has anyone put a 2005-2006 engine into an earlier frame? Is it a straight bolt-in, or are there gotchas?

I have no idea if option 3 is even practical. I'd like to keep the wire wheels (I have Plans™ for them) and the Sasquatch suspension they're attached to (rebuilt forks and Hyperpro shock).  I know the wire wheels do not bolt onto the 2005-2006 girlies (different bearings, disk spacing, brake caliper spacing, perhaps axle... ech). Will the 2004 forks swap right into the 2005-2006 triple tree? Will the Hyperpro shock from a 2004 bolt into a 2005-2006 frame? Will the 2004 rear wheel work in the 2005-2006 swingarm?

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered on this site, but I haven't been able to find the answers yet. Any pointers to relevant older threads would be appreciated.

- Ix

- Ix

Sin_Tiger

1. Is only sensible if you are so attached to the bike you never want to let it go  :icon_cry:

2. Someone like Chris C or BB need to step in here as there were a few changes as it morphed into the 1050.

3. Would be my preferred option but again you're having to look for an early low mileage which as you say don't seem to be as common in the US, they still pop up in the UK with less than 25k and under 2500 quid now and again but that doesn't help you much.

Some beakers are coming up for 3 yr old, I see more on the market but they do tend to have higher mileages 20k +, I wouldn't be put off by that, I guess you'd be hoping for an XC?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ix

I'm not permanently attached to the Tiger - it has flaws, and it will eventually wear out so much it isn't worth the cost to fix it. However, it's an amazing any-road bike and I've spent loads of time (and money) on modding the 2004 just the way I want it, so I don't want to just walk away from all that work because of some minor oil and clutch issues. If I can find a cheap way to refresh the engine, it's still a better deal to keep the Girly than to start over with a new adventure bike.

QuoteSome beakers are coming up for 3 yr old, I see more on the market but they do tend to have higher mileages 20k +, I wouldn't be put off by that, I guess you'd be hoping for an XC?

I want more off-road ability, so my next bike is going to be lighter, lower CG, better dirt suspension, better dirt ergos, fewer parts to add to protect it, etc. The XC is on the list. Unfortunately (for me), the early XC Beakers are holding their value really well, and I see no point in paying $10k for used bike that I can go get brand new for $12-13k. Hopefully the hyper-farkled new adventure bikes will drive down the prices of XC Beakers in the next couple years.

- Ix
- Ix

motoOzarks

4.  buy another 2004 or like and swap your parts to it, easily.  Part yours out.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ix

Or:
5. Just like 3 and 4, but with different words.  :icon_biggrin:

I'm already starting to look for a 2001-2004, but that's a forlorn hope. Tigers of that generation are rare and usually quite used. The only upside is that I might get really lucky and find one in Roulette Green... (Mine is black, which was my second choice of colors.) I also have a lot of work into the old chassis that isn't easily transferred to a new one - like electrical stuff wormed into the wiring harness, for example.

I brought this up because I'm looking for alternate solutions that get me the best bang for the buck. 2005-2006 Tigers come across craigslist with low miles once in a while, like the one today with less than 4000 miles on it. If the engines just bolt into either frame, that kind of bike would be a much better source for an engine refresh than an expensive and chancy rebuild, and I could part out the leftovers to make some money back.

- Ix
- Ix

Chris Canning

All of the 955 motors are interchangeable the difference being the water pipe that comes off the barrel on the early ones the pipe is on the side the latter version it comes out the back,as Sin said we see plenty of secondhand motors over here any will do,but I certainly wouldn't rebuild a motor I don't think that's the way to go.