News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Well...

Started by rex007can, July 11, 2014, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex007can

Looks like I'm pissing oil between the head and engine case, just under the manifold on the left side.
Seems to be running fine though.

Did I just blow a gasket, or should I also be pissing my pants?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

rex007can

I see my question is very much lacking in proper details and everyone's afraid to tell me!
:icon_wink: :augie

Well, this morning I took it upon myself to take the tank off (which I'd never done) and take a look to see exactly where the oil was coming from.
20140712_100525 by rex007can, on Flickr

Unfortunately, doing this alone and not always being the most gentle of fellows, there was a small casualty to the tank removal.
20140712_100723 by rex007can, on Flickr

Oups... seems I'll need a new cooling fluid reservoir from bumping the tank against it...Ah well. Ebay here I come, or something like that.

Now I remember from my equally stupid oil loss thread, finding out that the seal behind the stator is leaking, and sending oil in the air box.
I'm going to need info on the seal please, I cant find it in any parts breakdown anywhere. Not sure it's something I could do myself at this point.

Anyhow... the air filter is indeed soaked and there's a pretty large amount of oil in the airbox.
20140712_100641 by rex007can, on Flickr
20140712_100539 by rex007can, on Flickr

Is it possible that the oil I see coming down the front left side of the engine is actually coming from there. Question I would have is how can oil make it's way out of the airbox except by being burned in the engine??

I DO see oil on top of the valve cover, and around the air intake.

20140712_102317 by rex007can, on Flickr

20140712_101325 by rex007can, on Flickr

Since the engine SEEMED to be turning just fine, and since I see various puddles of oil on top of the engine, I'm guessing the oil is coming from somewhere OTHER than the head gasket... which is good.
Now if I can only stop it from gushing out completely, I'll be all set (apart from that little reservoir misshap...)

What do you guys think?

Bixxer Bob

Search for a thread by Evil Betty for how to do the seal change. You might find details of the seal there as well, I can't remember for sure.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rex007can

Found it
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7689.msg53241.html#msg53241

Thanks you!

just ordered a new seal along with a new gasket and sump gasket from the Bandits.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...