News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork seal replacement

Started by cba191, July 30, 2014, 07:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

I just called the dealer, and they want $200 just for the labor!  And that's with the forks already off the bike! :bug_eye
Does that sound right? 
How hard is it to do, and how easy is it to mess up?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

If you've never had a pair of forks apart , 200 aint bad .
You could screw up the new seals really easy ........................... :augie

NortonCharlie

If someone handed you a set of forks would it take you much more than an hour to rebuild and refill them?  Assuming you have all the proper tools of course.  I'm thinking $200 makes you a pretty good rate, of course $200 is way cheaper than screwing up the job, maybe scrapping the fork tubes scratching them putting in the bushings without the proper tool.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

cba191

K. That's what I wanted to know. The screwing it up part is what makes me nervous.

Chris Canning

Interesting one!! guess I see a set of fork seals done nearly every day the hassle is always separating the leg from the stanchion and having the kit to do it,first thing you need to make life simple is an airgun,the seal is the easy bit assuming there's a retaining clip take that off and stand the leg upside down in a bowl of hot water and seal will pop out easy peezy,use the old seal and a block of wood to drift the new one in.

But if separating the leg from the stanchion proves a hassle and sometimes it does paying to have it done is a bargain no matter what the cost  :icon_wink:

cba191

Where's the best source for the seals and dust caps?  The local ship doesn't have any. 

tims007

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 30, 2014, 11:17:09 PM

But if separating the leg from the stanchion proves a hassle and sometimes it does paying to have it done is a bargain no matter what the cost  :icon_wink:

this just made me take mine to a local motorcycle mechanic that i deal with for some items .. i walked in there and said here and walked away in frustration lol he knew what to do ...