News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Let's play what broke this time?

Started by nikonvt, August 31, 2014, 12:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikonvt

Guessing it's not supposed to be 2 pieces.?. Can I buy just that piece of the speedo or do I need the entire speedo w cable?

01 955i

cdubya

Bikebandit shows it as available by itself for $14 ish, item #3.
Looks pretty dry in there. I inspect/grease once a year.
Link:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-triumph-tiger-955i/o/m121583#sch568672
06 Girly

nikonvt

Quote from: cdubya on August 31, 2014, 02:14:54 AM
Bikebandit shows it as available by itself for $14 ish, item #3.
Looks pretty dry in there. I inspect/grease once a year.
Link:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-triumph-tiger-955i/o/m121583#sch568672

The pic was taken after I cleaned everything out and before I re-lubed it.  It's the piece that goes around the magnet and spins. on the inside, not the sleeve.  Thanks
01 955i

cdubya

Whoa there big shooter.
Genuinely trying to help and was not judging. A lack of maintenence on my Bonnie caused a speedo drive failure, was speaking from experience.
Is the part I referenced not the part that sildes over top and spins? After having mine apart a number of times, this sleeve is all that I've been able to pull out of there for cleaning and relube.

PJ's in Albuquerque NM is a dealer that gladly ships parts all over N America so you might ring up a dealer for clarification.
06 Girly

Mustang

that's the magnet that spins , you're hosed .
you have to buy the whole unit . the part on bike bandit is the steel sleeve it spins on .
there are a couple used ones on ebay usa for 75-85 bucks
new will set you back about 160
the magnet breaks really easy when not lined up when putting the wheel back on  :augie

nikonvt

I wasn't yellin at ya cdub. Just saying that it was cleaned of gunk and that's why it's all dry.  I may, however, start to yell at Ken, or I'll just drive to his house and knock on his door at 3am......

I'm pretty careful when I put things back together but.....I can't say that it wasn't 100% my fault on this one.  I have had the front tire off a fair amount lately.  It appears I have a slight dent in the front rim so balancing it has been a bitch.  Looks like ebay it is.....balls. :Topes

Thinking about this a little more....Other than lining up the notch on the unit, is there something else that has to be lined up?  I feel like I'm missing something.
01 955i

Chris Canning

Well I have the luxury of a spare,but the last time I stripped my speedo down to clean and regrease which I do every year it was also in two pieces exactly the same as the photo it was regreased and put back together and it works fine,even though it's in two pieces when you put it all back together there's nowhere for parts to move too because of how it fits into the hub.

Mustang

:iagree
worth a shot ya got nothin to lose .....................

NKL

Well I imagine the speedo was working before you took the wheel off and the magnet was probably already broken in there so putting back together it should work again.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

nikonvt

I had already put it back together all greased up before I posted. I took the pic, greased her up and on got about a mile from my house before it went out again. Gonna have to get another on ebay. Running with GPS for speed for the time being.
01 955i