News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken frame?

Started by Surfnsound, October 28, 2014, 05:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfnsound

Hi there...

Well, only troubles with my new bike (just bought) . Actually the bike runs well, but when I  open the seat I see the following (shots are from just under the seat, left part of the frame): Official triumph dealer says frame has been broken and been repaired. Does that sound right when you look at the pictures? They say the would never sell a bike like this, too dangerous for insurance liability if the frame breaks again at 160 kmh on the highway.... Anybody had a broken frame and did repair it that way? I plan to give back the bike to the seller (he did not mention anything about that repair, I did not see it while looking at the bike during sales).

Mustang

It's quite common  actually for the tail to break off the tigger .
although not to 98's as they got the added gusset to the frame to prevent that .
and the break usually happens farther back .
cause is from to much weight on the tail (luggage and pillions) and rough roads for extended time = broken tail section of frame

if it is properly repaired you are better than new .

but if you are as concerned as you seem to be
you will never be happy about it .

GIVE it back and move on .............................

Sin_Tiger

:iagree with evey single word. I'd be more worried about that dealer (and anything they sell) than the bike, what else have they skipped over  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Maybe they didn't know? I didn't know mine had been repaired,and I had the seat off to put a fresh battery in when I went to view the bike. 1st thing I would check now if I bought another.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

If it's happened more than a few months ago, you will see brown rust stains or dust around the area, that may assist your case.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Surfnsound

Thanks for all the replies! You are right: Its more about the trust into the dealer. It was NOT a Triumph dealership but a bike reseller. Its the triumph dealership here in Waterloo Belgium that saw the broken frame and alarmed me.

In any case: Seller agreed to take the bike back (nice move). THey said they did not see it (well, well, ...). I had warranty on the bike when buying it and they might have ran into the risk of the frame braking during warranty period.

The good news: There's another black Tiger on the market :-) Just the 4 weeks spending with the bike made me want to have the same :-) 

Enjoy the wonderful fall weekend, happy riding :-)

Sin_Tiger