News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Phut, phut....

Started by t4tiger, November 12, 2014, 04:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Hi again,
Seems I have another problem and wondered if anyone could help.  Freshly serviced, 3 new coils, carbs cleaned, fresh fuel and just done 200 excellent trouble free miles this weekend when the bike ran beautifully.  Started it up today on first try as usual and appears to run OK.  But..it makes a phut phut noise from the exhausts that is accompanied by a small puff of exhaust fumes, sometimes from the left, sometimes the right, sometimes both. I tried uploading a vid but site won't let me.  Any ideas please???

Mustang

host your video on you tube ...................
your vid is too large if you are trying to attach it directly to tiger triple .

"phut phut "doesn't give us much to go on BTW  :ImaPoser

t4tiger

Hard to describe. Phut seemed to cover it .  :icon_biggrin:. I'll try the utube thing.   

Geoff W

If it is the odd little small backfire when idling, then I would leave it, you can chase your tail for ever trying to sort out perfect fuelling. Mine has always done this, she runs a little rich, but milage is in 10-11 miles per litre and I can live with that, I am not that OCD about fuelling and carbs. She starts well, runs well and keeps me happy on the road. If you want to compare steamer noises we can arrange a meet up somewhere, I am not far way.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

both my 98's with keihins have a little" phut phut" now and again at tickover
the two tig's with mikunis don't but they don't idle any better or worse than the keihins .

triples don't idle well anyway ...............it wants you to let it sing , that wonderful triple howl !

t4tiger

Thanks so far.  The plot thickens.... I have noticed the red light on the dash comes on periodically, sometimes strongly, sometimes quite faintly.  Does this give us clue??  Many thanks 

Mustang

by "red light " on dash .....................
do you mean the oil pressure light flickers ?

if so you need a new oil pressure sender switch , it's quite common for steamer ones to go tits up for no reason .

and no it has nothing to do with the way it idles .