News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quickest way to get low end grunt & back to highway speed (sprocket q's)

Started by Roadinator, March 24, 2015, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

I am do for a chain and sprocket.  I replaced the front with 19t to get a little improved highway cruising, but now I'm starting to play in the woods.  I was wondering if you could swap rear sprockets and have it 1) really make a difference 2) be done with one chain.  I could go to 17t up front and larger in the back (stock is 46t I think?), but did not know if I had two sizes for the rear I could swap them before a weekend of riding when I am mainly cruising the highway or playing slow and go on fire roads camping.  I was only interested in swapping the rear sprocket, but maybe that would not make enough of a difference?  Guessing you would have to have a chain to accommodate different size sprockets.

And yes I know the short answer would be "get a bike for the woods, not a '05 Girly," but that probably won't happen until next summer.   She's not that heavy  :ImaPoser
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Mustang

1 tooth on the front is equal to 3 on the rear
a 17 /48 combo you could use the same chain as stock and she would have some down low
a 16 tooth will be non existant to buy and chances of  finding anything bigger than 48 for the rear will be slim to none

Roadinator

Thanks Mustang.  With the 17/48 combo, what do you think 65mph would be like on the highway.  Would I still be able to hit 135? :bug_eye

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Roadinator

Thanks for the web link.  That made it easy to see the difference!