News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fork preload

Started by TR5TRIDER, May 07, 2015, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

I am reassembling the forks on my 96 Steamer with new bushings, piston rings, seals and 15 wt bel ray fork oil; the original preload spacers have been replaced w/ pvc pipe spacers approx 4.5 in. in length. I have read on this forum of increasing preload spacer length by 1 in. and as much as 2 in. plus 15 wt oil to decrease dive.  Not having the original spacers I have no reference point from which to start. Anyone have the original spacer or know it's length?

Bert

nickjtc

Stock springs or after market progressives?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

15wt is kinda stiff
I like 10wt better
and if you lead with your rear brake first the front doesn't dive so much  :nod

TR5TRIDER

Quote from: nickjtc on May 07, 2015, 06:59:20 PM
Stock springs or after market progressives?
The springs are not progressive so will assume stock. My weight is 180 lbs.

TR5TRIDER

Quote from: Mustang on May 07, 2015, 07:08:43 PM
15wt is kinda stiff
I like 10wt better

I'll try that. Have already dumped in the 15wt. fork oil and will reinstall spacers (approx 4.5 in.) if no one comes up with spacer  stock length.
Mustang, what is that orange rectangle with the word "like" at the lower left of your post?

GavD

Got some hanging around the garage from my 3 spoke conversion - 110mm
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: TR5TRIDER on May 07, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
I'll try that. Have already dumped in the 15wt. fork oil and will reinstall spacers (approx 4.5 in.) if no one comes up with spacer  stock length.
Mustang, what is that orange rectangle with the word "like" at the lower left of your post?
they arelike buttons , ya know if you like a post you click it , facebook has a thumb up for likes we get a silly orange box  :ImaPoser

nickjtc

:iagree. It's called 'control'  :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

TR5TRIDER

110 mm, that then means that the pvc spacers in my forks at approx 4.5" are
the same length as stock. Thanks for that, GavD. I'll cut new ones at 135 mm and try that. Thanks.

fishnbiker

15wt is kinda stiff
I like 10wt better

I use 12.5w ... 50/50 mix of 10 & 15 ... 650cc each side. 50mm extra preload for rough gravel & tight twisties.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE