News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine light.

Started by Kill Switch, April 23, 2005, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Replaced battery, now engine light stays on.  Runs fine.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help  in advance.

Rick

noivson

:)

Ride more, worry less....

Same problem. fix was to cycle engine through several heat build-ups. Gives the ECU time to re-calibrate...3-4 rides did the trick...actually while it was on the lift at the dealer!  :oops:
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Kill Switch

Sounds good.  Heard that before - thanks for reminding me.  I forgot to mention I pulled the ECM relays out to test them...OK...but turned the engine over while they were out.  Of course the engine didn't start...this was part of diagnostic testing to find out what the problem actually was...ended up a shorted battery that was causing all sorts of problems.  Ok, if the computer is self correcting I will give it a few rides before I go to the dealer.  Thanks much for your feedback.

Rick

Bliker

I left my parking light on by accident and drained the battery. I tried to start the bike before I realized the battery was dead. Once I recharged the battery the engine light stayed on . The dealer said it was because I tried to start the bike with a dead battery.  Anyway, they hooked the bike up to the computer and reset it. He didn't say anything about the bike correcting itself after a few runs, so I don't know about that one.
2004 Tiger

PeterO

Quote from: "Bliker"I left my parking light on by accident and drained the battery.

I had exactly the same problem !  Dealer said it would clear itself after a few days riding but I went in and they plugged the do-hicky in.  Engineer said something about four faults reported but he cleared them without bothering to see what they were.  No problems since.

Peter

russ_fae_fyvie

I just had my ECU replaced under warrenty cos the light came on and stayed on all the time.

Its a design fault, when mine was checked it reported 22 faults !!  Bike was still running though !

Dealer said if you disconnect the battery for any reason, 4 faults will flash up, now that I got a new one I hope its ok cos if it goes again out of warrnety is £800 !!

Come on Triumph, you can't expect us punters to pay for your design faults (if you aint quick enough to get it done under warrenty of course!)

Kill Switch

Quote from: "noivson":)

Ride more, worry less....

Same problem. fix was to cycle engine through several heat build-ups. Gives the ECU time to re-calibrate...3-4 rides did the trick...actually while it was on the lift at the dealer!  :oops:

Engine cycled a number of times this weekend.  After about 4 heat build ups the light went off.  

Thanks much.

Otherwise dealer wanted to charge at least $50 to clear fault.

abell

It's three heat cycles then out on the next one, always has been on the Triumph triples unless I am mistaken.

Dealer should just have advised same, not try to take money to clear a bloody fault code. Bastards.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

knarf

3 counts and its out  :P
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

robbo

3 and its out.? Is that confirmed by the majority of you mechanical types.?

I ask because My local dealer has closed down so I took my bike to another local workshop ( not a triumph dealer ) where the guy quite honestly told me it broke his heart to have to turn good business away ( a 12000 mile service ) but he didnÌt have the do-hicky to turn the light back off after he lifts the tank.

The nearest Triumph dealer is 50 miles away and doesnÌt have the best reputation for price and or service.

What do you think.?
best Regards

Robbo

NortonCharlie

yep 3 heat cycles and the fault light goes out as long as the fault corrected itself.  The fault stays in the computer for about 40 heat cycles for most faults.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

robbo

I decided to go with the local workshop, we have made an agreement where I will accept the bike back with the engine light on if need be. I can get the light off myself with normal running.

The problem I had was not simply one of not liking the Triumph dealers reputation. It was the inconvenience of having to get my bike and myself 50miles up the road and back.
best Regards

Robbo