News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Tiger

Started by Chris Canning, April 21, 2015, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Well after 14 years of grand service mine had a bit of a blip last year a middle coil a new stepper motor and pipes with new plugs and a shimmed motor and no small amount of tinkering from the Bixxer etc whilst I ran it up in the garage it had stood ever since the joys of having more than one bike so today it was taxed fresh fuel and a good run.

Good old Sagem fuel injection predictable it ain't but after a fair old pasting and plenty of stops to let it sort it'self out it appears that we have arrived at some kind of stability it's still not sure if 1200 or 1500 is best for tick over but mostly 1200  :icon_rolleyes: but the big plus jeeze it's quicker than ever so next winter it'll get the other two coils regardless.

One of these days I'll go into my suspension story because the way I have it set up the internals normally self distruct at around the 6/7000 mile margin but a small price to pay for the way it works  :icon_biggrin:

nigeh

Hi Chris, that story is pretty much the same as mine all be it 7 years of faultless service then last year new stepper motor, plugs, re-map, no shims as they were OK and still running badly and then the cure.....a new middle coil and transformed the bike, was better than when I bought it in 2007!

Parked up over winter and first ride out last week and going well apart from......tick over! Or more accurately initial start-up tick over. Starts fine sits at 1800 ish rpm for 30 seconds then drops to 1100 and if you try to ride of you have to give it the berries or it will cut out but if you wait a couple of minutes the tick over jumps back up to 2000??

Ride off then and first time you pull up tick over is at 1200 rpm!

TBH I don't want to mess about with it in case I screw something else up so will just wait couple of minutes before I ride off, should impress the neighbours!
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Glad to hear yours is ok Chris,  and that it's flying.  I can't remember, did you fit a new Triumph coil??

Regarding yours Nige,  it sounds as though your new IACV is sticking in or near the parked position so tickover is low, ECU tries to raise tickover by increasing the number of steps open, IACV unsticks and goes to the now too high number of steps, ECU observes this and drops tickover, but IACV still stuck till vibration of riding off frees it.  Could just be a spec of dirt.  Next time you have it apart, cycle the IACV with TuneECU while blowing it through with an airline.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nigeh

Thanks for the info Bob.

I will try that but to be honest I have no plans to rip it apart again for a long time as done it more times last year than you can shake a stick at but when I do I will do as you suggest.

Cheers

Nige

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

I'd leave it alone and just ride it.  Chances are with regular use it'll fix itself anyway.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Give or take a bit mine is very similar to Nige's and my plan is the same as Bixxer's  :icon_wink:

And yes I did change the middle coil.

Bixxer Bob

Did you buy a new Triumph coil Chris?

Chris Canning

Yes mate I did no change out of 90 quid!!

Sorry for the delay been to Jerez.

Bixxer Bob

No worries,  good meeting?  Watched it on TV.  My man had a rough weekend at Cadwell; MT125 seized and spat him off, broken collarbone, wrist and a lot of bruising.  Championship defence is now looking uncertain.  Worse still, he has to tell his wife when she gets home tomorrow...  :icon_rolleyes:

Chris Canning

More of an update for anyone else who ends up going the same route since fitting the new stepper the start up is totally different instead of pressing the button and it going almost to tickover straight away it now goes to 2500 and works it way down to 1200.

That tick over at 1200 has been more of a wing and a prayer but determined to let the system settle down have carried on riding the bike as is,I guess I've done around 500 miles that wing and a prayer tickover is a lot more dependable and coming along nicely.

What is strange the fuel map is the same one that's been in for a few years and while the bottom end fuelling still leaves a little to be desired the mid range and over 6000 is nothing short of amazing it's always been a good motor but on a 200 mile run around Wales this morning  probably better than it's ever run with a slight tingle in the bars which is always a good sign on mine.

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like it's working as designed Chris.  Another tip that I've found helps (or I imagine it does anyway) is let it surge to 2500 when you start up, wait till it settles to a steady tickover ( whatever the cold tickover revs are, I don't mean wait till its warmed up) BEFORE touching the throttle or anything else.  Those first few seconds seem to be essential for the ECU to sort itself out.  Trying to get-gone immediately after starting seems to upset the low throttle response more.

nigeh

Similar to yours Chris.

I am not long back from an 1800 mile ride to the Alps etc and bike always starts fine, goes straight to just over 2000 rpm then after 30 seconds drops to 1000 rpm ish then wait a minute and goes up to around 1400 rpm, then you can ride off!!  A

If you try to ride off any sooner you sound like some rank amateur revving the t**ts off it and slipping the clutch to stop it cutting out  :icon_mrgreen:

The first time you pull up tickover is around 1200 rpm and stays there all day.  It did not play up even though we were riding in 40 degrees of heat the other week, I nearly did though!!

I still have not taken it apart as really can't be bothered as I know what it does and if I just wait for a couple of mins after starting it up all is OK.  As you say there Bob I do not touch the throttle now until it has done its bit!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Chris Canning

Did you go with your mate with the Multi?

nigeh

Hi Chris

Yep did 1800 mile trip down to Barcelonette and back through the Ardeche about 4 weeks ago.  Was a great trip and Tiger ran like a dream and since putting the correct TOR map on it I averaged 53 mpg and that was ragging it up and lot of passes!

Only issue was the temp, we had 40 degrees one day, mid 30's on two days and high 20's the rest of the 8 days so way too hot for me!!

Sorry did not get to meet up last time I was over but planning on being over again soon so will give you a bell to see if you are around but not sure when just yet.

www.maisonlaudiere.com