News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel guage dead after plug change

Started by Daiku, January 31, 2016, 12:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daiku

Greetings,

So I've changed the plugs and refreshed the K&N filter on my new to me 06 Girly and after putting her back together and topping her off with fuel the gauge went to nil and the fuel light came on.  I've just taken delivery of the bike and, of course, it was delivered close to empty of fuel.  After my "tune up" I rode the gas station and topped off the tank at which point, within a few seconds of starting her back up, the fuel gauge went to nil and the low fuel light came on.  The gauge seemed to be working prior to my filling the tank.

Any ideas?.... much thanks.
Now:  '06 Girly, '83 Honda CB1100F
Then:  '78 Suzuki GS 750, '79 GS 1100, '01 Yamaha FZ1

Mustang

yea the sender units in the tank really really suck .

it's a very common problem on the girlies

use the search button for "fuel sender"

lot's of info to be had

Daiku

JoeDirt

Anytime you take off the tank... you have to be careful of the sender unit connector. The two wires right at the base of the sender unit see a lot of abuse. I have had to solder and shrink tube mine more than once. It helps to put a glob of RTV in the same area.

I am sure I am not the only one that has forgot to unhook the sender unit connector before taking the tank off. :^_^

Daiku

Thanks for chiming in JD.  I did unclip the connector prior to removal and all looks good there.  I will go over it all again today and see if a good's night rest is all she needed..... 

No telling how long she was kept low/empty of fuel while being sold by a dealer.  I wonder if the float could be stuck.  I will be tracking down a sending unit nonetheless as it sounds like it is wise to keep one on hand.

JoeDirt

Well, since your bike may have sat for a while. It is also sign of a low battery or slow charging. Check your voltage running and sitting.

I recently replaced my sending unit as well. My float was stuck in the tube. Even after it sat on a shelf for a month drying out... it's still stuck.

BTW, when mine stuck in the tube. The fuel gauge would read 1/4 of tank when full. If it drops to "0" or stays at zero, it might be a charging issue.

~JD

Daiku

So I went for the first ride (since I've had her) of consequence today, only 70 miles but dodging the snow and ice felt like more like 170.  The fuel gauge was all over the place (with a full tank)  but seemed to settle down by the end of the ride.  I can only presume that the float is bound up, stuck, whatevs.   By the time I returned home from the ride the fuel gauge seemed to be accurate, if a bit optimistic.  We'll see if she settles into any sort of consistency as I get her out into the wind, weather permitting.

The bike reveals significant vibes around 4250 rpm and up.  Having not owned a Girly before, I'm wondering if this could be a result of a worn chain/sprocket... I'm inclined to order a new setup and replace just in case.  Perhaps it is Girly nature, I don't know.

Thanks again for the feedback fellas.

Mustang

Quote from: Daiku on February 01, 2016, 12:13:23 AM

The bike reveals significant vibes around 4250 rpm and up.  Having not owned a Girly before, I'm wondering if this could be a result of a worn chain/sprocket... I'm inclined to order a new setup and replace just in case.  Perhaps it is Girly nature, I don't know.

Thanks again for the feedback fellas.
more likely an incorrectly adjusted chain  .....................
they like at least an inch or more of slop  :nod

Daiku

The vibrations do seem to emanate from the drive train, it just "feels" that way through the foot pegs that that is where it's coming from.  The rear sprocket doesn't appear to have the tell tale "shark fin" shape of a worn sprocket but I'm inclined to replace it (and the front sprocket and chain) anyway since I have no history on the bike.  I suppose I'll feel more confident in the machine if I take care of the variables on my own....   create a new history, if you will.  Oh, the delight of purchasing a bike online!

Thanks again all.   :thumbsup

motoOzarks

try some of those fancy silent sprockets

come on man
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: Mustang on February 01, 2016, 01:37:49 AM
more likely an incorrectly adjusted chain  .....................
they like at least an inch or more of slop  :nod

I with Mustang on this one. These bikes like a lot of chain slop. Cheap and easy to try. :qgaraduate

Daiku

:Topes  aside, "try some of those fancy silent sprockets".

The vibrations coming through the footpegs and final drive were enough to limit speeds much beyond 60 mph.  The bike was very unsettled with the vibes at those speeds, clearly a problem that needs to be addressed. I've got a full 1" of play in the chain, but I suspect a bad link or two.

Mustang

Quote from: Daiku on February 01, 2016, 03:26:44 PM

:Topes  aside, "try some of those fancy silent sprockets".

I've got a full 1" of play in the chain, but I suspect a bad link or two.
have someone check the slop when your full weight is sitting on bike , you will be surprised how tight the chain gets
when your full weight is on the bike you need about 3/4 inch freeplay, or you are gonna feel it in the pegs .
I go for at least 1 1/4 inch and never have to adjust the chain. and it's oh so smooth.
the tip off is "you can feel it in the footpegs"

Daiku

Will do, Mustang.  I read about the chain slop being measured fully laden somewhere....likely here on the board a few months ago when I was first considering the bike.  I appreciate the reminder!

By the way, HEED crash bars, EBC HH pads are on the way (and so are some of Mustang's 1" lower pegs).

Thanks all.