News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Tiger Needs Some Teeth!!

Started by Triple Teton, May 30, 2005, 02:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Teton

Hey All,

After three months of searching I finally found an 01 Tiger that was close to new.  As mentioned in the riding style post shift points etc, I was  brutally  "em-bare-assed" by my business partners KTM Adventure in a role on acceleration drag race. I probaly had it coming after doing the same to him with my 02 Cenntenial Daytona on a regular basis(until we ran out of pavement,,,,,bye bye). They are the same engine what gives? What are the BEST mods for the Tiger to release the beast that lurks with-in??????  I have a score to settle.

Thanks,

Triple Teton

02 Cenntenial Daytona "YABABY"

01 Tiger "MYMOJO"

96 KTM 620
YABABY

newmanr19

hate to tell you this, but they are not the same engine.. true they share some core engine components but they vary quite a bit. Just looking at the rated BHP for the two bikes (2001 models)  the Daytona is 130; the Tiger is 105 (according to motorbikes.be)

The KTM is geared lower, quite a bit lighter and the power curve comes on quicker then the Tiger (I had one before I bought my Tiger)

I'd still rather have the Tiger then the KTM and don't regret selling mine.

Brock

You won't need to settle any scores when your mate has to have surgery on his damaged bum. Have you seen the seat on the KTM???
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Triple Teton

Acctualy, he already has a comprimised"bum". Maybe that is the only you can ride the KTM for an extended period of time!   Butt seriously,,,, I would like to do some upgrades on the performance end. Lets here some suggestions. Does anybody have the Jesse side bags with the factory trunk? I read a post from last fall that said they were not compatible???
YABABY

robbo

I changed the front sprocket down one tooth and it made a big difference, the bike wanted to wheelie in first and the acceleration improved vastly. But I ended up changing back because if you are doing a distance the higher revs at cruising speed can get annoying, its only about 500rpm different but you would be surprised.

This mod would definitely improve the roll-on acceleration and doesnÌt cost much to do. My sprocket cost £18 and took literally 20 minutes to fit. Some people on the forum have talked about changing as a matter or course depending on their mood or if they are taking the bike off road.
best Regards

Robbo

Dick Boyer

Funny. I rode a new KTM 950 not long ago and my 04 Tiger with Off Road can was way faster. No comparison.

tomla

open up the airbox, put on an aftermarket pipe and get the offroad tune.  that'll wake it up...check out the tiger group on yahoogroups for specifics.

Triple Teton

Quote from: newmanr19hate to tell you this, but they are not the same engine.. true they share some core engine components but they vary quite a bit. Just looking at the rated BHP for the two bikes (2001 models)  the Daytona is 130; the Tiger is 105 (according to motorbikes.be)

I was confused by this response, the latest review in WWW.motorcyclistonline.com reviews the 06 Tiger and gives a bit of history on the model years "The 955i retained the same steel chassis as it's predicessor, but was now given added zest  in the perfomance stakes with the fitting of the same 955c three cyclinder top-of-the line Daytona sport  bike."  

Am I missing something???  Thanks for the responses.
YABABY

Brock

The Tiger 955i is a DETUNED Daytona engine. More torque, less BHP. Just learn to use torque instead of BHP. Easy.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein