News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

thinking abut swapping my BMW 1150R ABS for the tiger

Started by malc, May 18, 2005, 10:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malc

I am looking at swapping my R for a tiger & looking for advice on what to look for & what they are like to ride & own servicing costs etc.

I really like my R but have rode the 12gs & adv which I also like but the price to swap for bmw is silly & the price of the 05 tiger @ £7000 on the road with all the toys is not too be sneezed at.

So whats your opinion.

cheers MALC uk resident
its grrreaaattttttttt

robbo

Malc,

I like the GS and would have one if I had the cash but itÌs a lot of money. The tiger is a good all rounder, it can be a hooligan tool for the Sunday run but is equally as good two up touring anywhere with full luggage. Where it is not as good as a GS is off road but as with big 4x4 cars most, including my one, never leave the road.

Running costs are low in comparison with the competition and she will do 220+ miles on a tank of fuel.

The only real down that I can think of is the resale value on a new Tiger is pretty poor. If I was to do it all again I wouldnÌt buy a new one, Id look for something less than a year old with low mileage for about £5500. They are out there and they are bargains.

Have a search on autotrader web site or on ebay
best Regards

Robbo

Hi Malc,

I've owned a BMW R100GS before getting my Tiger. I'd say do it. Triumph are a better company. The Tiger is MUCH better than the 1150 varriants of the BMWs. Even the GS12 is no better but a lot dearer.

BMW always seem to deny problems and want your money for every little extra. As you've noticed, the Tiger comes with everything fitted standard.

My Tiger has done 24000 trouble free miles. My BMW had its first gearbox rebuild at 23000!

My honest opinion of BMWs is that they are great bikes to ride while they're going. When they go wrong (and they do quite often) god help your wallet.

Get the Tiger and enjoy the smooth, silky power that just keeps coming.

chairmaker

Dump the BM and get a Tiger.  Quicker, smoother, COOLER and all day fun.  Easy to service yourself if you want to save some cash.

Unless you're a 43 year old accountant - in which case you're on the right bike already!