News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rubbing strip frustrations

Started by ssevy, April 21, 2016, 11:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

The new rubbibg strip I got seems stiffer and almost plastic like as compared to the old one. I wrestled with it for a good 15 minutes before I gave up (back has been killing me). I even put a bit of silicone grease in strategic locations, but just could not get it in place. Lots of tunking with a 1/2" extension and dead blow hammer too. I'll get back to it in a day or so, but much more difficult than the one on my Legend!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sparky

Try putting it in a bowl of hot tap water to make in pliable.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

nickjtc

Quote from: Sparky on April 21, 2016, 11:48:56 PM

Or if you were here you could leave it outside in our (unseasonably hot) 30 degree sun. Failing that use swwbo's hair dryer if you don't want to get your hands wet.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Sparky on April 21, 2016, 11:48:56 PM

:iagree

Have you tried Voltarol on your back instead of silicone grease  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: ssevy on April 21, 2016, 11:32:05 PM
The new rubbibg strip I got seems stiffer and almost plastic like as compared to the old one. I wrestled with it for a good 15 minutes before I gave up (back has been killing me). I even put a bit of silicone grease in strategic locations, but just could not get it in place. Lots of tunking with a 1/2" extension and dead blow hammer too. I'll get back to it in a day or so, but much more difficult than the one on my Legend!
yep the new ones are a hard nylon and I doubt soaking it in hot water will do anything but make it wet  :*&*

you know with the rear wheel off already , you can have the swingarm off and on the ground faster and with a lot less frustration than trying to find an impossible shortcut  :nod

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on April 22, 2016, 02:25:51 AM
yep the new ones are a hard nylon and I doubt soaking it in hot water will do anything but make it wet  :*&*

:ImaPoser I wonder if they're made from recycled tanks.

Have they done the same with the underside chain support?  It's been a few years since I bought a batch.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

The rear wheel is actually back on (sitting on the floor and balancing the tire up on my shoes while I worked the axle and spacers back into place is what buggered up my back).
I'll get it in place eventually, thanks for the tips.

ssevy

Finally got it installed by taking the new chain off the rear sprocket and zip-tying it up near the battery out of the way. That gave me just enough extra working room. (It was still a bitch though)

nickjtc

Now crack yourself a congratulatory beer and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. :thumbsup
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

How your back recovers to enjoy it now  :thumbsup