News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

UK Route Suggestions Required

Started by ChrisN, June 16, 2005, 11:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

After spending months planning detailed routes through France and Spain I'll be heading off for the ferry at Portsmouth in a couple of weeks. All very exciting, but until now I hadn't given much thought to getting to the port from the northwest other than the obvious M6, M40, A34, M3, M27. (boring, boring, boring!) It struck me that I'm not making the best of my journey by missing the chance to enjoy the ride once south of Birmingham and into areas I wouldn't normally find myself in on motorcycling daytrips.

So, my question is simple:

Can anyone recommend any good alternative routes from say Birmingham down to Portmouth ? (which don't involve an overnight stay in Cornwall :) )

Note: Heading south I'll need to make reasonably swift progress but on the return home this could be more leisurely when I'll not be under any timetable pressures.

Thanks
Chris

52blackshadow

How about A5, A43, A34. (Not too sure without a map in front of me, but the roads are a bit better than the motorways and don't take you too far out of your way.

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

ChrisN,

I really wouldn't bother. The South & South East is so busy that good progress is difficult . Sticking to the motorways gets you there on time for the ferry and it makes the riding in France seem so much better.

ChrisN

Thanks guys. I agree, outward bound the direct route to ferry for timetable reasons, but the early morning return will give me chance to take the "scenic" route home.
Chris

Quote from: "ChrisN"Thanks guys. I agree, outward bound the direct route to ferry for timetable reasons, but the early morning return will give me chance to take the "scenic" route home.

OK for the return trip....head north west acroos Salisbury plain, Warminster, Bath, Bristol then go up the Wye valley from Chepstow to Monmouth. Then to Ross on Wye and Ledbury then pick up the B4124 to Bromyard, B4203 to Great Witley, B4202, B4363 to Bridgenorth. After that you're on your own.

ChrisN

Cheers Blacktiger.

Thanks for taking time to post your suggestion.

I'll be taking a closer look at the route tomorrow.
Chris