News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i vs 800xr

Started by benebob, December 21, 2016, 02:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

My clutch sticking issues and the sad reality that the bike is becoming a bit more then I can handle weight wise with my him (plus seeing a nicely priced 800xr when I went for brake parts last mont). I convinced the wife (by letting her trade her Xtype in on a certified XF awd supercharged) that the 800xr would look nice under the tree. Would you trade your Girly for an xr?  I'm planing to go up on Friday (the anniversary of when I got hit on my 99 4 years ago and making a "do you want to end your year with a sale today deal" then leave it in to fate.  It should be as good as my cast wheel tiger off road right?  Don't need KTM level off road ability but don't want to go backwards either.  Thoughts?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

It's a massive leap forward.  I wouldn't hesitate.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Very capable and efficient bike, you won't be disappointed with the all round performance as Bixxer says. And as you say, not a bad time to be in your position. Just remember the dealer is also going to be taking in an older bike at this time of year too and unless he has a buyer  :icon_scratch: well he might not be ready to sink his teeth into your arm as soon as you walk through the door.

Envious of the XF  :love10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

We shall see.  Seat is my biggest concern.  What do they rev at around 80?  Similar to the Girly?  The salesperson I'm going to see just bought himself a second BMW R GS today so of course he is in need of some commissions.  :)
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

When I swapped the dealer was surprisingly honest (we all treat them as if they are going to rob us blind, which some will).  He advised to sell privately on Gumtree (a bit like Criaglist I guess), told me what to ask, and what to accept.  To my surprise it worked, so three happy people; me, the new owner and the dealer that didn't have to take the trade in.  And I was 500 quid to the good.  :occasion14
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Can't remember the revs exactly. I found it was happy on the highways between 5-6k , she'll still pull comfortable overtakes without a change down from 6th, unless there is real urgency. That'll return around 48mpg (UK) and comfortably over 200 mile range. Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference with panniers or two up or big tail pack. If you're riding solo with a large tail pack, put it on the pillion seat as rear turbulance can make high speeds a bit uncomfortable.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Little unfair to compare my 955 because stock it ain't but over these last few years I've come across quite a few(800) on my travels with me being on my jack and two up with a pile of gear and I've never come across one being ridden at any kind of pace not very scientific I know but from where I've been sitting a nice little bike but just that and not a lot more.

Timbox2

Bit like Chris really, they are certainly popular but Its the one bike in Triumphs range Ive never even bothered to sit on. The Tiger Sport is the bike Im in Danger of coming home with after a visit to a Dealer for an oil filter.
2016 Tiger Sport

benebob

Well I didn't get the deal I would have liked and they gave me about as much for my Tiger as my wife got for her Jaguar X type with 150k on the odo.  Bike isn't as plush as the 955i and actually when I slow down enough to post some pics you'll see just how close it actually looks to my 885i (after the wreck of course).  Now need to get those revs down find some knobbies to replace the worst tires made in the world (ankee 3) and hopefully praying my folks don't get me the mustang drop pegs for the 955i (or at least he has a liberal exchange policy).  I did keep some parts and my manual so will post it up here for a spell before putting on ebay. 

Merry Xmas everyone!
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

benebob

Yes and now I'm quite pissed about the whole thing since today I see National Powersports is selling new 16 800 XRs for 7999.  Wish I would have stuck totally to what I wanted to pay as then I would be free to buy a brand new bike.  Oh well life goes on.
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

How does that work, we can't get them at anything close to that price over here  :icon_scratch:

Well the stock tyres are worse than the A3's if it's any consolation. Enjoy  :wheel

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 26, 2016, 02:06:40 PM
How does that work, we can't get them at anything close to that price over here  :icon_scratch:

Well the stock tyres are worse than the A3's if it's any consolation. Enjoy  :wheel

I've never asked  :icon_sad: the BM forums are bad enough not only they get them cheaper they come with 3 years warranty to our 2  :icon_evil: