News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dealing with rusting bolts?

Started by Danwarb, March 05, 2017, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: Timbox2 on March 05, 2017, 05:36:17 PM
I went to my local supplier a couple of days ago, got 4x A2 Stainless bolts for the calipers, all for the princely sum of £2.  Probolt wants £5 per bolt!!!

Hi Jaydub,

Replacing these rusty old bolts for a start would be great !

Whats the size and category of bolt I'm asking for?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 05, 2017, 09:35:15 AM

My solution to ugly, standard fasteners is simply to clean them up and colour them black with a sharpie, which works amazingly well.  Do the whole fastener before assembly and retouch once fitted.

This speaks to my inner tightwad (cheapass, skinflint, etc enter your regional name for one who won't spend money or cries when it has to be spent).

JayDub

Quote from: Danwarb on March 06, 2017, 11:28:39 PM
Hi Jaydub,

Replacing these rusty old bolts for a start would be great !

Whats the size and category of bolt I'm asking for?
I would take one of each to a supplier and ask them to match them.  :nod

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on March 07, 2017, 09:20:56 AM
I would take one of each to a supplier and ask them to match them.  :nod

Hi Jaydub,

Yes your right, simple really ! I actually have a proper 'Nut & Bolt' dealer here in Brighton (south coach of the UK) which have a massive stock.

I noticed the bolts around the disk brakes are very 'iron' filled I guess to offer similar heat expansion to the disk brakes. Their a unique shape that this nut and bolt shop couldn't match, have you found alternative suitable bolts for these?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Timbox2

Quote from: Danwarb on March 07, 2017, 02:43:13 PM
Hi Jaydub,

Yes your right, simple really ! I actually have a proper 'Nut & Bolt' dealer here in Brighton (south coach of the UK) which have a massive stock.

I noticed the bolts around the disk brakes are very 'iron' filled I guess to offer similar heat expansion to the disk brakes. Their a unique shape that this nut and bolt shop couldn't match, have you found alternative suitable bolts for these?

:ear

Aint cheap but http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/polished-stainless-steel-replacement-disc-bolt-l18mm-priced-individually-7153-p.asp
2016 Tiger Sport

Danwarb

Quote from: Timbox2 on March 07, 2017, 05:17:24 PM
Aint cheap but http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/polished-stainless-steel-replacement-disc-bolt-l18mm-priced-individually-7153-p.asp

Ahhhh NICE ! Never thought a bolt would would float my boat so much !

So I'd need 6 per disk, thats 12 x £3.99 which totals £47.88 for the front disks, another £23.94 for the rear disk . . . I'm beavering and saving !

:rfl
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on March 12, 2017, 06:32:32 PM
These look good on the front spindle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROTECTIVE-COVER-CAPS-FOR-HEXAGON-NUTS-BOLTS-SCREWS-BLACK-PLASTIC-FREE-P-P-/161276119711?var=&hash=item258cce4a9f:m:mitIfnwzAxiA-q8zIM6LClQ

Hi Jaydub,

Thanks for this but the nuts on the dink brake are allen heads and the 'star' bolts that hold the callipers in place have 'star' heads on them.

These caps cover classic hexagonal top bolts.

Or am I incorrect?

:icon_scratch:
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

He's talking about the plastic cover for the spindle nuts as in the picture.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 15, 2017, 07:59:17 PM
He's talking about the plastic cover for the spindle nuts as in the picture.

Ah ! Maybe that big yellow arrow has something to do with it !

:*&*
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint