News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

mirrors

Started by JayDub, September 04, 2017, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Quote from: tonytiger on September 07, 2017, 10:25:34 PM
County Durham were men are men and so are women?

Went through Barnard Castle yesterday, not a good move in the end as they had closed the A66 and the whole town was at a standstill
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

Quote from: tonytiger on September 09, 2017, 08:18:03 PM
Did sought your mirrors JayDub :5moped
No not yet, haven't had a chance to try Sins method with hot water (I need to pluck up the courage too).

tonytiger

More road works I think the council's probably have to spend the money from Europe before they have to give it back.
My falosity is its best not to think about doing jobs just do it.
Sorry about spelling.

Timbox2

Quote from: tonytiger on September 10, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
More road works I think the council's probably have to spend the money from Europe before they have to give it back.
My falosity is its best not to think about doing jobs just do it.
Sorry about spelling.

Nah, some twat had lost an earth mover off the back of his low-loader apparently
2016 Tiger Sport

tonytiger

Easy done, NOT. Apart from that did you have a good ride

Timbox2

Quote from: tonytiger on September 10, 2017, 03:24:55 PM
Easy done, NOT. Apart from that did you have a good ride

Not on bike mate, part of family holiday with Dogs and Missus
2016 Tiger Sport

tonytiger

JayDub

Err, can I have me thread back please?  :icon_rolleyes:
- Apart from the hot water trick, does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas for getting the mirror glass out in one piece?

bemusedinsojo

Heat gun? Blow dryer? I've got a set if you want.

Sidk

ive used fishing line for similar kind of thing.. may work with the steamer mirror :^_^

Timbox2

Quote from: JayDub on September 10, 2017, 09:01:22 PM
Err, can I have me thread back please?  :icon_rolleyes:
- Apart from the hot water trick, does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas for getting the mirror glass out in one piece?

oops, sorry :icon_redface:
2016 Tiger Sport

P3aK

If you just want the mirror part out in one piece and don't care about the plastic housing at all then....what about chemicals?
Plastic will melt when in contact with the right type of chemical mix.

Like the plastic box I put under my tank when the petcock was leaking. Came back to half a plastic box swimming around freely on the floor.

I don't know what will happen to the mirror part, so make sure first. But perhaps drop the mirror in a drum of petrol?

Or Dichloromethane may work (paint stripper / methylene chloride).
Polystyrene dissolves in benzene or toluene.
Polyurethane can dissolve in acetone (CH3)2CO.
Polyethylene is resistant to most organic solvents.

This is as far as I googled around on the subject, double check to make sure if you try anything.

Or most stuffs will melt of heat. If the melting point between the mirror part and the plastic is big enough you can try that. Fire, heated air, other heated/boiling fluids.

Or perhaps take a Dremel and work really slow with a small piece of file/cutting bit.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

JayDub

Thanks P3aK, thats possibly the easiest way, I think I was just avoiding wrecking a potentially useful mirror casing... I just hate to throw anything away:icon_redface:

@ bemusedinsojo, Thanks but the shipping cost could be more than the cost of a new mirror :thumbsup

ssevy

Just use the same method I posted for opening my tach. Thread here someplace👍
I may not be big, but I'm slow.