News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo NW

Started by Newsman, April 03, 2017, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

Good Morning
My speedo decided it was not going to work any more, the cable is ok and I think it is the drive at the front wheel with cable off I pushed the bike forward and the flat tang did not move.
would any one know what revs 30 mph is in 3rd gear? my tiger is on std gearing as far as I know, just so I dont have trouble with speed cameras till I can get another ( I have just looked at the cost of new ones and they are quite expensive!)
Thanks a lot
Andre

Timbox2

Go here mate and choose your bike  http://www.gearingcommander.com/

You can get it to give you any combination of speed in gears at revs. But 30 in 3rd is 3000 near enough, easy that one
2016 Tiger Sport

Newsman

thank you thats great

Newsman

Hi
Does anyone know if the speedo drivers from any other Triumphs would be ok for the Tiger? or does the bigger front wheel mean no
thanks
Andre

Timbox2

It may just be the drive ring thats bust, Triumph Part No T2001111, its only about £10 and still available.

The speedo drive itself was the pricey part but actually shown as No Longer available.
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

Other triumph models' speedos vary slightly and often bits don't fit / match. A second hand speedo complete can often be found on ebay for £20 or so.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ssevy

I have seen people mount an electronic speedo too on other bikes. Not sure what is involved, but it might be a less expensive/more reliable option if you can't find a good used one?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

GavD

I think the Steamer speedo drive is specific to the model because the wheel spindle is thinner than the cast wheel models, and because it is a bigger front wheel the worm drive has a different gearing.
One on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004235-T0301-TRIUMPH-SPEEDO-DRIVE-TIGER-885-/322494300237?hash=item4b1628804d:g:uC0AAOSwuAVWyyV5
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

:iagree can't remember the actual numbers but as Gav says. Have you checked that the drive square isn't damaged?

Dealt with National Triumph, they're solid.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Newsman

i took the front wheel out today as I was having a new Tyre and it is the drive ring not the speedo gearbox so I will be after one of those thanks for all the help!!