News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger overheating woes

Started by kev187, August 15, 2005, 09:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev187

Hello all, brand new triump owner here.

I have had the Tiger for 2 weeks, just hit the 1000 mile mark & engine is nice & broke in.. but...

The Tiger when freeway running hits about 30% on the temp gauge, around town about 50-60% on the temp gauge.

If I sit at a light or in traffic for 3-5 minutes after a good ride, the temp gauge very quickly maxes out & hits the red mark!!!  If I pull away & start moving it quicky goes back down to 50% or so.  

Is this typical for a triumph?  I am just coming off an air cooled Buell, but my buell could easily handle about 20 minutes of bad traffic before it ran rough, why is my water cooled triumph getting too hot in just minutes?

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but any insight would be more than welcome!

Thanks much

Kevin

apache

Is your cooling fan comming on? my 97s comes on at 1/2 way or so.

kev187

Thanks for the quick reply dave

The fan is coming on, you can hear it running, but the bike still cooks up.  I am thinking a faulty thermostat?  I know cars & can wrench on a bike pretty good.  I am going to assume a water cooled bike has a thermostat just like a car?  

I am just wnating to know if this is common or not before i lug it to the dealer?  I appreciate all the feedback I can get!

Brock

Can't comment much on the coolant thing, although my current Tiger did seem to run hot for a while when she was new.

That engine aint anywhere near run in at 1,000 miles. 9,000 miles should see an even bigger difference.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

greg

This is EXACTLY what happened to my brand new Tiger. It had an airlock, as under warranty I had the dealer fix it straight away. Absolutely no probs since.
2004 Girly.

kev187

So what happened to your bike, you said it had an airlock?  What sort of repair is that?  I am hoping for a quick fix, but I am quickly learning that Triumph dealers keep NOTHING in stock, I called all the dealers from washington DC to NJ looking for a throttle cable, 8 different dealers, no one had one in stock, I had to order it & overnight deliver.  I am figuring the dealer will order the part & the bike will sit for a couple weeks.  Miserable after owning the bike only 2 weeks, but at least I have a warranty~

Thanks

Kevin

NortonCharlie

If that is the problem The dealer should pull the fuel tank, remove  radiator cap and the bleader bolt on top of the thermostat housing.  Then if the level doesn't drop siphon out a little coolant then slowly add coolant until it comes to the top of the bleeder screw and and cap.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

greg

Yup that's pretty much it no parts required, it just means getting the airlock out of the cooling system. It is fairly straightforward to do yourself but as you are under warranty get the dealer to get his arse in gear to fix it. Bloody bike dealers, if car dealers behaved as they do they wouldn't stay in business more than 10 minutes.
2004 Girly.