News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

STALLING TIGER - CREATED PROBLEM AND FIX!

Started by bowyer2002, April 23, 2019, 03:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowyer2002

I have a '95 Tiger with only 11k miles that has taught me A LOT about it's carburetors!
I cleaned the fuel cap breathers, ran a wire down the fuel tank breather tube, cleaned the tank filters on the petcock, having recently cleaned the screen at the carb feed fuel line and had a previously ADDED a clear in-line filter. No way any crud was getting into my newly cleaned carbs!
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13231.msg97244.html#msg97244
I thought I had it licked, running on all 3 cylinders and such.
However, whilst riding it recently the bike would stall after being ridden 5-7 miles or 5-10 min whichever it wanted.
I researched and found this most helpful link http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13856.0.html for similarly described stalling problems.
When I stalled, the clear fuel filter looked 90% empty but, after sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes fuel would fill the filter and the bike would start right up - for 5-7 min.
Apparently, I created my own PROBLEM by installing the extra fuel filter which created just enough restriction of the flow to starve the carbs & leave me sitting on the side of the road! :BangHead
My diagnosis of there being a vacuum in the fuel tank, or debris in the OEM filters, etc. were all wrong!:bug_eye
By removing the filter that I added the bike ran fine for it's 20 mile test ride and the ride into work this morning. :rrr

ssevy

Good for you!
That thread you linked was mine, so I have felt your pain!
Sin Tiger runs an in-line filter successfully, but I think he removed the petcock filters completely?
Since this is a gravity fed fuel system (no fuel pump), any additional restrictions like an inline filter can slow fuel delivery too much. I think you have to choose petcock or in-line, but not both?
I have access to ethanol free gasoline in my region, and I also add a splash of Star Tron every once in a while to keep the mung out of my orifices. I also sealed the inside of my tank with a Caswell kit to stop the swelling problem. It doesn't mean I'll never have fuel problems again (after all, it does still have 3 carburetors), but hopefully I've improved my odds a bit.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

London_Phil

A lot of us found the mesh filters on the fuel tap assy actually collapse and create flow problems.
I had this happen to me, and I removed both main and reserve filters, and fitted an inline one, which made a massive difference to the flow.

bowyer2002

@ssevy - thanks for your write-up as it gave me some direction! And misery loves company, so it helped me know I could get out of this situation.

@London_Phil - should I have any more filter problems, the OEM filters will be replaced with an in-line. By "fuel tap assembly" do you mean petcock assembly that goes into the tank?

London_Phil

@London_Phil - should I have any more filter problems, the OEM filters will be replaced with an in-line. By "fuel tap assembly" do you mean petcock assembly that goes into the tank?
[/quote]

Yep as in your picture, just  pull them off both main and reserve, and use the inline filter instead,

nightrunner

I didn't see where anyone mentioned it so I will.  Steamers have a tiny (very tiny) cone-shaped in-line fuel filter behind the carbs right where the single fuel line splits into three. It actually sits inside the metal fuel pipe. Yes its that small. You would never find unless you knew it was there. So you can imagine how little dirt it takes to clog it.  A lot of us remove it when we install an in-line filter near the petcock.  So if you have a fuel flow issue, might pull the rubber hose off and check that filter.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

bowyer2002

@nightrunner - Thanks, I did know about the filter that you mentioned.
I had checked, cleaned and reinstalled that filter before reading that most remove it since it is so hard to access.
The next time I have the carbs out, that filter will be removed.