News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Should I trade my 05 KLR for an 01 Tiger?

Started by flyingpackman, December 14, 2005, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingpackman

I've been trying to find a used Tiger for about 6 months.  A dealer just called and said he took one in on trade.  

It is a 2001, black, top box, saddle bags, 40,000 miles.  $5999.  NADA says it is worth about $5350.

I would be trading/selling my 05 KLR 650 with 4000 miles in order to pay for it.

Thought?  Recommendations?  Suggestions?  Any cautions about the 2001 model?
LP

apache

Book prices are one thing but real selling prices are another. Thats high IMO, specially after tax,lisc etc. Weasel him down. Regarding selling the KLR or not? It depends on what your looking for. If its long distance "all road"riding youll be a happy camper, the tiger is much heavier and wont perform off road as well. Personally I cant imagine a comfortable days riding on a single like a XR/KLR/DR. but thats just my .02$ worth. I passed up on a 01 955 with 5200 miles,black and absoloutly mint for $4500, the owner put it on consignment and the dealer sold it for $5995 or offer. even at that it sat around for almost a year.

Sofalofa2005

Packman I've owned 3 x KLR650's over the years... great bikes... However, Tiger is a different  bike altogether... Smoother, MILES more powerful, feels a lot bigger (and is a lot heavier if you are thinking of off-roading), is far comfier over distance etc. I've had my Tiger only for 10 weeks and have covered 5,000 miles... best bike I've ever owned

However, personally I don't think trading your 4,000 mile KLR for a 40,000 mile Tiger is a good deal unless he gives you a wad of cash too...

I'm from UK and $6,000 equates to about £3,500 our money. Just had a look on biketrader.co.uk and that money will buy you a 2001 bike with 15,000 miles on it with a full Triumph service history...

There must be better deals out there....

Good luck

Russ

Sofalofa2005

... no, just found another, 2001, 7,500 miles with 3 piece panier set, in green (best coclour!)... £3499 = under $6000

whoa

I paid $5500 for my roullette green from a dealer.  It had 7500 miles and no accessories.  I wouldn't pay more the $4000.

I'm very pleased with my 01.  If I had to replace it for some reason, another 01 would be fine by me.

NortonCharlie

Is the black 01 an 885 or a 955.  To me that would be the deciding factor.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

flyingpackman

Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  I'm going to drive up to Denver in the next few days and take a look at it.  

Wasn't 2001 the first model year of the 955i?  Are there any known problems with that first year of production?

Trading a new KLR for a used Tiger is a tough decision for me.  If it were purely economics, then the KLR wins.  Less to buy, less to maintain, less to insure, better gas mileage and a Kawasaki dealer in almost every town in the country.  But there is something beyond the the money.  I want to stay in the dual-sport category.  (BMWs are too much money).  The tiger seems like the perfect bike for me.  I commute to work every day, a few times a year I take it out on the fire roads.  I want a bike that my wife can ride with me.  The KLR wears you out with it's vibrations and I can't imagine riding on it all day long, (although, some people do).

I would appreciate comments from anyone.

Thanks,
LP

flyingpackman

Everyone must be busy with the holidays.  I'm not getting many responses.

Please just answer these two questions for me:

1. How far into the engine's life would you consider a bike with 40,000 miles on it?

2. Are there any known issues with the 2001 models?

Thanks

LP
LP

Sofalofa2005

Packman,

Way I see it, is after 40,000 the engine will probably be okay, but the rest of the bike will need some attention if it hasn't alreay (state of spoked wheels, rear shock, brake discs, wear and tear etc)... in many cases that can cost more than any engine work... I would guess the bike will be a bit "tired" by 40,000 miles - although I chatted with a bloke that had over 90,000 miles on his Tiger... the KLR won't have any expensive problems for a while yet, and whilst it's still under warranty it doesn't matter if it does.... you can get far better than a 2001 40,000 miler for the money

whoa

Quote from: "flyingpackman"1. How far into the engine's life would you consider a bike with 40,000 miles on it?

2. Are there any known issues with the 2001 models?

Speaking from the 2001 955i model:

1.  As with any machine, entirely depends on how its been cared for.  Bought mine with 7000 miles and expect to get far more than 40k before doing anything major.  I do frequent oil changes, check valves etc.

2.  As for known issues, there are some recalls that need to be taken care of.  Things commonly discussed are lowering (easy), stiffer forks (easy), wind buffeting (who cares, but different wind screens are available).  Of course, these latter points aren't really issues.

flyingpackman

I went up to Erico Motorsports in Denver and took a test ride on that black 01 Tiger.  

This was the second time that I rode a Tiger.  Compared to the KLR it is silky smooth and has power galore.  The previous owner had lowered it about 1.5 inches and the seat was all the way down, so it didn't fit me very well (I'm 6'1").  It is in very good shape, seems to run well, and has new tires.  On the road, it doesn't feel that much bigger than my KLR.  My biggest concern was the 40,000 miles on the clock.  I'm a bit hesitant to trade a nearly new bike for one that is 5 years old.  

I haven't decided for sure what to do yet, but I think I may wait until a newer one with less miles comes along.
LP

Barry Hughes

Packman

Sell the KLR privately to get it out of the equation, and then consider getting someone to source a Tiger in the UK.

Even with import tax(?) lights conversation and shipping you would probably get a far better deal and a bike with a lot less miles.

Food for thought??????????????
Barry

\"The sum total of all your mistakes equals experience\"

dougahole

Hey flyingpackman! Take a trip to Oklahoma city and buy my 01. I'm looking for something different and am considering selling the beast. I'm going to ask $5500 and it's in perfect condition with 23k miles. I have not yet listed it anywhere and just decided on this a couple of days ago. She's roulette green with factory saddle bags, factory top box, thunderbike crashbars, heated grips, throttlelock, MRA vario screen, tankbag, driving lights, modified seargent seat, centerstand, triumph race can, race tune, K&n filter and about 1500 miles on metzeler tourances and a new set of karoo's that I just took off with about 50 miles on them. I also have all stock parts which include seats, front and rear, stock windscreen and taller screen, stock pipe. This bike is clean!