News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

looking for a tiger

Started by raw, April 09, 2006, 03:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw

ok i have been looking at bmw 650g and then came across the tiger,if i get a tiger what should i look for and how does in compare to the 650g,what years are the best years,whats the mpg on these,any reliabilty issues and upkeep cost,thanks for any info

thanks for any help

ronnie

greg

The Tiger is a whole quantam leap away from the 650GS, with double the bhp to start with. Search the threads, there is quite a bit about various comparisons, Tiger v. this or that.
2004 Girly.

¥TigerTamer?

First off (keep in mind that this is my personal opinion)

The Tiger doesn't compare to the 650gs - its just so much more than that.  It more closely compares to the 1150gs.  

More power, better perfomance IMO, just not all the finishing touches/bells & whistles as the BMW.

On the Tigers - ( I think this is the major stuff)

Pre 2000 is Carburated 885

2000+ is EFI 955

2000 - 2004 has wire spoked wheels and longer fork travel

2005 + has cast aluminum wheels and slightly less fork travel, but better on road performance.

I recently bought a brand new 05 Tiger and got 42mpg on its very first tankfull.

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Foxy

Quote from: "¥TigerTamer™"On the Tigers - ( I think this is the major stuff)

Pre 2000 is Carburated 885

2000+ is EFI 955

2000 - 2004 has wire spoked wheels and longer fork travel

2005 + has cast aluminum wheels and slightly less fork travel, but better on road performance.

Nearly. 1993-1998 are the carbuated 900s (885cc)

1999-2000 are the completely revamped injected 900s (885cc again)

2001 on are the new generation 955 injection motors, with very minor changes else where (same suspension, mildly changed damping rates) (nb. Pic appears to show pre-production model with T709/509 style oil cooler)

2005 (model year, available mid 2004 on) are the same with cast alloy wheels and slightly reduced suspension travel. Also gained the grey frame and silly swingarm  :D

¥TigerTamer?

Foxy,

Thanks for the corrections.  Looks like you've done the Tiger history thing before. :lol:

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Foxy

Quote from: "¥TigerTamer™"Foxy,

Thanks for the corrections.  Looks like you've done the Tiger history thing before. :lol:

Hang on, I'll just go & grab my anorak  :oops:

ArizonaKid

Since I have both machines (02 Tiger and and 03 F650GS) I might have something to add.  Basically, they are two very different motorcycles. The Tiger is, correctly, more closely related to the 1150-1200GS, so measuring it against the smaller GS might be a stretch, but. . .  the F650 is a lighter, less powerful, more agile bike and, depending on your intended use, less capable in several key areas.  I ride the GS mostly as a daily commuter since mileage is in the  70 mpg + range and it's simply just easier to ride in traffic. The Tiger is a big, powerful machine that does very well on the road (long haul) and is somewhat capable of moderate off-road use.  It does okay as a commuter and is fairly easy to get a long with although it is a relatively large motorcycle and handles accordingly. If you don't have longer legs, riding in stop and go conditions can be awkward at times and can wear you out.  I mostly bought the GS for my wife.  It's a great bike for her (easy to ride, reliable, adequate power, upright seating position, low enough to keep your feet flat on the ground at stops, has ABS and heated grips, etc, etc) and she loves it.  We frequently rige together and it's a good compliment to the Tiger, but again, they are very different motorcycles. There's lots of info on line about both machines.  A better comparo might be the F650GS and Kawasaki's KLR, which has been around since dirt and does very well in that environment (dirt).  It really boils down to what your intended use might be and only you can judge that.  Good luck on your selection.  They're both great motorcycles, but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses and once again, they are very different motorcycles and difficult to compare to eachother.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

ArizonaKid

Since I have both machines (02 Tiger and and 03 F650GS) I might have something to add.  Basically, they are two very different motorcycles. The Tiger is, correctly, more closely related to the 1150-1200GS, so measuring it against the smaller GS might be a stretch, but. . .  the F650 is a lighter, less powerful, more agile bike and, depending on your intended use, less capable in several key areas.  I ride the GS mostly as a daily commuter since mileage is in the  70 mpg + range and it's simply just easier to ride in traffic. The Tiger is a big, powerful machine that does very well on the road (long haul) and is somewhat capable of moderate off-road use.  It does okay as a commuter and is fairly easy to get a long with although it is a relatively large motorcycle and handles accordingly. If you don't have longer legs, riding in stop and go conditions can be awkward at times and can wear you out.  I mostly bought the GS for my wife.  It's a great bike for her (easy to ride, reliable, adequate power, upright seating position, low enough to keep your feet flat on the ground at stops, has ABS and heated grips, etc, etc) and she loves it.  We frequently rige together and it's a good compliment to the Tiger, but again, they are very different motorcycles. There's lots of info on line about both machines.  A better comparo might be the F650GS and Kawasaki's KLR, which has been around since dirt and does very well in that environment (dirt).  It really boils down to what your intended use might be and only you can judge that.  Good luck on your selection.  They're both great motorcycles, but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses and once again, they are very different motorcycles and difficult to compare to eachother.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

raw

well looks like i made up my mind it will be a tiger 01 with 10k on it a few things help me make my choice

1-used the bikes are about the same price

2-im 5 10 so not real bad but im on my tip tows with both,but since im buying a used one and only on a new bmw can you get the lower version, i probably would have lowered either one the  doesnt matter

3-i know it want look like right but i will  be riding some with harleys and a few other cruiser and i want to make sure i can keep up with them no problem

greg

There are 3 seat height adjustments on the Tiger from 820mm - 860.

As for keeping up with cruisers, you have a sense of humour. Staying with them will be more about having lots of patience!
2004 Girly.

iansoady

Quote from: "raw"well looks like i made up my mind it will be a tiger 01 with 10k on it a few things help me make my choice

1-used the bikes are about the same price

2-im 5 10 so not real bad but im on my tip tows with both,but since im buying a used one and only on a new bmw can you get the lower version, i probably would have lowered either one the  doesnt matter

3-i know it want look like right but i will  be riding some with harleys and a few other cruiser and i want to make sure i can keep up with them no problem

With an 01 of course you'll have the rear eccentrics so it will be relatively easy to drop the ride height an inch or so. It's made all the difference to mine.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

raw

well on lthe look again ,a guy on the forum had that one for sell for 4500 obo set up a deal with him sent deposit yesterday and talked to him and then today he refunded and sold it local yesterday,so im looking again